With the numerous threats that alter the security of instant messaging apps, Telegram decided to implement a new method so that your users access accounts in a more reliable way with the aim of preventing them from affecting its integrity. Said method, refers to two-factor authentication.
Thanks to this, the people who manage their online communications can add an extra step to log into your Telegram account. Like, protect the information they handle there to prying eyes at the same time.
Therefore, it is really interesting to know What advantages does the 2FA two-step authentication guarantee that allows you to enable Telegram, like knowing how it has to be activated correctly on the different devices it supports. Which, we will explain in this post.
What are the benefits of using 2-factor authentication on Telegram?
While it is true, two-factor authentication refers to a security feature that manages to add an extra layer of security to contribute to the safeguarding of the information that each person manages in their account.
Thanks to this, it is a method that executes two different authentication processes in order to verify the identity of the user and allow their access by means of different unrecognized devices. In this sense, through Telegram, users have the option to activate two-step verification using a specific password which will be required when logging in using a new computer.
In addition to this, to ensure the highest possible security, the instant messaging service will also send a code via SMS which you will have to enter to verify your identity. Therefore, it is considered essential that users of Telegram make use of a password that easy to remember and hard to guess, at the same time, so as not to lose access to your account.
In addition, we recommend using a password that contains different characters (letters, numbers, special characters), like, avoid the use of personal data and stop focusing on predefined formulas. Thus, 2FA authentication in Telegram provides notable benefits that users must take into account to be encouraged to activate this function and with it, avoid future vulnerabilities.
For this reason, below, we mention the most important pros that the use of this functionality reveals:
- Provides an additional layer of security and / or defense to the Telegram account. In this way, if someone decrypts the general password of the account, they will not be able to enter it either.
- Because it provides another layer of security, drastically, reduces the success of rogue users when having access to your confidential information.
- It also reduces the risk of online identity theft and other techniques (As the phishing, for example), because the password for the account Telegram of the victim will not be enough to gain entry to their data.
- In this instant messaging app, 2FA two-step authentication is very easy to enable and configure. Therefore, any user will have the ability to benefit from this function.
Learn step by step how to enable and configure 2FA in your Telegram account from any device
Due to the significant benefits of using the two-factor authentication feature in Telegram, surely, you will want to activate it in your account from now on. For which, of course, It is valuable to know each step to follow in order to be able to do it correctly.
Therefore, here we will teach you the procedures that you have to manage from each specific device:
On Android and iOS
First of all, we start this by letting you know what is the step by step to follow to enable 2FA on your Android mobile or tablet and on your Apple devices:
- To get started, log in to your account Telegram from the mobile app compatible with Android or iOS.
- Once you are in the main window, tap the three horizontal lines icon located in the upper left corner to enter the menu.
- Then in the main menu, select the option “Settings”.
- Then, directly from the Settings section, click on “Privacy and security”. This option is in the second position.
- Later, go to the Security section and there, click on “Two-Step Verification”.
- Followed by that, in the new window, press the button that says “Create password”.
- This done, it is time to enter your password for 2FA two-step authentication. As a recommendation, we note that it is essential that it be different from your general password Telegram, like, have different types of characters and are more than 8 in total.
- When confirm your extra password, then the app allows you write a hint so you can remember it (in case you forget it). However, if you prefer, you can skip this step.
- Now, it’s time to enter your most trusted email address so that it works as the recovery mail.
- Finally, to complete the two-factor verification setup, you have to write the verification code that was sent to the email specified in the previous step.
On PC and MacOS
Yes, instead of manage your Telegram account through your mobile devices, you prefer to do it from the comfort of your Windows or MacOS computer, you need to know how to enable two-factor authentication of this app from its desktop version.
Which, we will explain below:
- First of all, on your computer, find the application of Telegram what do you have installed there and access it to enter your account.
- Then, on the main page, click the three horizontal lines icon which is located in the upper left corner (next to the search bar).
- Once the main menu of Telegram, It’s time to choose the option “Settings”.
- After that, through the window of Settings, click on “Privacy and security”.
- Now, head to the bottom until you find the section of “Two-step verification” and there, you have to click on “Activate two-step verification”.
- Then proceed to enter your 2FA two-step authentication password to confirm it where applicable. In addition, you should put a hint that allows you to easily remember it and a recovery email address.
- Done the above, click on “Save”. In this way, they will send you a code to the specified email that you must enter and thus, click on “Send” to confirm the activation of this function.