Being an instant messaging application that is mainly aimed at the work teams, users may have to spend hours a day on it.
It does not matter from what type of device you use it, either a computer or smartphone, spending so many hours in front of these screens can easily cause a visual fatigue.
It is because of that Slack has implemented dark mode, which gives you a much more pleasant appearance when working. That is why here we are going to show you how you can easily activate it from any device.
What are the benefits of using Dark Mode in Slack and other apps?
He dark mode has become a tool that has been gradually implemented by a large number of applications and programs in order to help you take care of the health of users. And it is that being able to work in low light will clearly be much more pleasant for the eyes, especially for those people who spend many hours on the computer or mobile device.
Therefore, being able to start enjoying this function in Slack or any other application will offer you great benefits, which we are going to show you below:
- One of the most important benefits of this feature is reduce eyestrain, which is caused mostly by light emitted from mobile devices or computers. It is not a secret that these devices have become a fundamental part for everyone, so it is increasingly common and necessary to spend a lot of time a day using them.
- If you use the slack app for your workspace you may have to spend a lot of time there, that is why thanks to the activation of the dark mode In the app, users will have the opportunity to reduce visual fatigue caused mainly by the amount of time spent observing the screen of any of these devices.
- It helps you to extend battery life either the smartphone or laptop, if you have to spend long hours using the Slack app It is possible that the battery of your mobile does not last long or in this case that of your laptop, which without a doubt can become a problem if you have no where charge them with energy. That is why when activating the dark mode the device is less demanding so it can prolong its duration.
- Help to facilitate reading especially in the mornings and nights, since when a dark mode is shown on the screen, the eye will not suffer so much when reading, since it will be in a very comfortable and pleasant environment.
Learn step by step how to activate Dark Mode in your Slack account from any device
The process to be able turn on dark mode in your Slack account It is very simple, like any other function of this app you will not need to be an expert in it to achieve it.
In this case, you just have to follow each of the steps that we will indicate below according to the device you have:
On your Android mobile
If you usually use frequently Slack from your Android mobile device, then you just have to follow each of the steps that we are going to indicate below so that you can activate dark mode and thus begin to reduce eyestrain.
- Once you are inside the application, you must go to the tab “you” located at the bottom of the screen.
- In the menu that appears on the screen you must select the option “Preference” which usually appears last in the list.
- In the new window that will appear on the screen you must select the option “Dark mode”.
- Here a new window will open where you have three options “Battery saving ”,“ Off ”and“ On”, Select the latter to activate it.
- After this automatically your Slack app it will go into dark mode.
In the computer
If you prefer to use this application to your workspace from the computer because it seems much more comfortable to use, then you will also have the opportunity to activate the dark mode and thus reduce eyestrain while you use it.
In this case, you will need to follow each of these steps:
- When you have already entered the application on your computer, the next thing will be to click on your profile picture located at the top right of your screen.
- Then you must select the option “Preference” that appears in the drop-down menu.
- In the new window that appears on the screen, you must select the item “Topics” and in the available options click “Dark”.
- After this, the Slack app on your computer will automatically go dark, here only you must click on the icon close once you’re done.
On your iOS mobile
Finally if you are iOS user and therefore you use the app from one of these devices, then you should know that the procedure is very similar to those mentioned above.
In this case, follow each of the steps that we are going to indicate below:
- The first thing you should do is sign in to Slack from your smartphone and there click on the icon “Your” located at the bottom of the screen.
- In the menu that appears on the screen you must select the item “Preference”.
- Now you must choose the option “Dark mode” that appears on the screen and then you just have to press the button “Activate” so that your app goes from being completely light to dark.
- This way you can start turn dark mode on and off from your Slack app easily.
Other changes you can make in Slack preferences to change the look of the interface
Luckily for everyone who uses Slack, It is an application that is highly customizable, so that each user can configure different options that will allow them change the appearance of the interface.
So not only can they go from a clear view to a dark one, but they can try other elements such as the ones that we are going to show you below:
Compact or sharp view?
If you are one of the people who constantly likes to use Slack from the computer, then you will have the opportunity to adjust the view on how it is show messagesTo do this, you must choose a theme and select the additional display options you prefer.
In this case it is about a sharp subject or a compact one, this will depend on the way you want to view your messages. In general, messages in Slack are shown with the sharp theme by default, but if you want to see more messages at the same time then you must activate the compact theme. This is because the sharp subject shows profile photos of the members next to the message, while not in the compact, so there is more space for other messages.
In order to change this aspect in the instant messaging application, you will need to follow these steps:
- Login to Slack from the computer and click on your profile photo located at the top right of your screen.
- In the drop-down menu that appears there you must select the item from “Preference” that appears in the menu.
- Now you must click on “Message and media” located on the left side of your screen.
- Then a new window will open where you must select the theme you want to choose either “Sharp” or “Compact”.
Turn animations on or off
If you still did not know Slack it has animations that you can deactivate or Activate whenever you want. That is why on some occasions you can see some custom emojis or GIFs that are shared in your workspace and which move or make a gesture. Fortunately, Slack allows its members to manage these animations so they can change them at any time.
To do this, follow each of the steps that we will indicate below:
- Once you are inside the application on your computer you must click on your profile picture located at the top right of your screen. Now if you are from the mobile app, then you must click on the icon “Your” located at the bottom right of your screen.
- In the menu that appears on the screen you must select the option “Preference”.
- Once you are in the section of “Preference” you must select the item of “Accessibility”.
- When you have entered there you will see a box next to “Allow animated images and emojis” In case you want to activate it, you just have to select the box and uncheck it to deactivate it. This way you can start to control these types of aspects in your workspace.
Show Slack names or real name?
You have surely realized that Slack sample conversations and interactions with your username and not with your real name by default. However, you can change this in case you do not want to use your username, especially if you are going to join a new work team and you do not know if these people will present themselves with their real or username.
Therefore, to modify this aspect you will need to follow each of these steps:
- Slack allows users to display your full and real name instead of your username if you wish, for this you just have to access the application and click on your profile picture. In the drop-down menu that appears there you must select the option “Preference”.
- When you are inside the section of “Preference” you must select the item from “Messages and media” located on the left panel of your screen.
- On the right side of your screen you will find the option of names in this case you can check the box of “Full names and Slack names” or “Slack names only” here select the option of your preference so that you can see the names as you want.