One of the safest ways to protect our Facebook profile is through the two-step authentication that the platform will ask for next to the password. This verification consists in granting our account greater security so that no person can access it without our authorization.
Thanks to the activation of this tool, Facebook will be able to inform us every time a device that does not recognize it is entered or from a place that is not the usual place where we usually do it.
In order to know all the benefits and the steps needed to protect our profile, we have made this post, with which you can also know how to recover your Facebook account if you lose your phone.
Why should I protect my profile with two-factor verification? Benefits
As we mentioned in the previous paragraphs, the verification of two factors helps us to protect our account on Facebook since it gives us the possibility of logging in with two registration parameters. That is, we will not only need the password but also an access code or the function of a third-party application.
When we activate this tool we get a greater layer in our security, therefore, we will obtain the following benefits:
- No person can log in from our account if they do not have the second step, even if they know our password.
- You cannot log in from any device that does not recognize Facebook since we will send an alert for which we have to approve it, if we are not we will not be able to access our profile.
- By increasing the security level no hacker will be able to intercept our account and impersonate us as it will need the second verification step
- We will be sure that our data will be protected since nobody can access without being able to verify the steps.
- The configuration is very simple, in addition you can use very secure third-party apps .
We must bear in mind that, if we have not saved, on Facebook, our computer or the mobile phone from which we have accessed, we will be asked to do so when we perform the verification of two factors, therefore, we will always have devices known.
We recommend not saving the browser when we are using a public computer , since security measures decrease considerably because Facebook understands that this device is ours and when a hacker enters alerts through that device from the social network will not work.
When our computer has activated functions such as VPN, private browsing or deleting the data once we leave it, it will not be possible to recognize the device with which we are accessing. This is why we recommend keeping these settings in mind, since the two-step verification tool cannot be effective.
The phone number to which Facebook will send us an SMS we have to consider the possibility of accessing it, otherwise we will not be able to access the account.
Steps to activate two-step validation in your Facebook account
When we decide to activate the verification process of two processes we have to keep in mind that the start to our Facebook profile will be a bit more cumbersome , because we will not only have to enter our password, but also the second registration factor.
Therefore, we have to assess whether the additional work we will have will be more beneficial than the protection of our privacy. Without a doubt, we recommend that you should have these two steps activated for verification.
We will show you next the necessary steps that we will need to do in order to activate the tool proposed by Facebook and so, every time we log in, we will have to verify two parameters to register.
From the computer
The procedure to activate the two-step verification option is as follows from a PC:
- We open the application
- We go to “Login”
- We click on our name
- We choose the option “More”
- We choose “Security settings”
- We look for the option “Settings”
- Select “Security and login”
- We look for the alternative “Use two-step authentication”
- We click on “Edit”
- This moment we choose the method we need for authentication and then follow the configuration instructions.
- Finally, we click on equallyActivar•
These methods can be sending SMS or a third-party application , and you can also add to log in from a device that already recognizes Facebook, use recovery codes or also Touch security key
To use a third-party application, we recommend LastPass .
With this app installed on our computer, we can enjoy emergency access as well as the password generator. This application can not only be used on a computer, but also on our mobile and a smart watch.
To use this application we have to follow these instructions:
- We install the app on the device we use to access Facebook
- Log in to Facebook
- Select “Settings”
- We choose the optionSecuritySecurity
- We look for the option “Use two-step authentication”
- Click in “Start”
- We type our password
- We choose “Authentication application”
- We follow the configuration steps
For the configuration on our mobile device of the two-step verification we will follow this guide:
- We enter the application
- We look for the option “Settings”
- We click on “Security”
- We look for “Two-step verification”
- Select “Send a code via SMS” or “Application Facebook mobile ”
We continue with the configuration instructions according to what we choose.
If we choose the SMS alternative:
- Select “Approval of login”
- Next, we enter the number of our mobile device
- We will receive a message from text
- Enter the SMS code
- Click on “Finish”
When we have chosen the option through Facebook application, we will do these steps:
- We look for the option “Code generator”
- We select “Edit”
- We click on “Accept”
In this way Facebook will give us a list of 10 codes of 8 digits each, which will ask us to enter any of them through the code generator that is in the last part of the menu >. This code is valid for 30 seconds, so once used or exceeded that time is canceled.
The other alternative that exists is through a third-party application , in this case we will use Google Authenticator .
- The installation is very simple, once we have chosen in our device the option “Authentication application”
- Select “Next”
- A QR code will appear which we will have to use in the application to confirm the login
What happens if I lose my phone? Can’t I access my Facebook account?
When we lose our mobile device we can access our Facebook account through our recovery email and immediately change the password.
In order to perform this alternative, we will have to follow the following guide:
- We go to the home page
- Under the “Password” option is “Have you forgotten your account details?” , we click on it
- We write the recovery email
- We click on chosenSearchEND
- A dialog box will appear that will indicate “How do you want us to send you the code to change the password?” , and give us two options to send; the first, “Send code via email” ; the second, “Send code via SMS”
- Activate the first alternative
- Choose “Do you no longer have access?”
- Next, Facebook will ask us how we want to be contacted and choose an email or a phone number to send us the Facebook access code.
When we have chosen to recover the login through codes, we can access our account as long as we have stored the 10 codes in a different place on our phone.
We recommend entering through the browser and immediately changing the access password so that we can prevent the person holding our mobile device from accessing our Facebook profile.