Android Auto is a very interesting app with which Google makes your mobile show an interface adapted to driving . In some cars it is already pre-installed, however, in case you don’t have it, you can download it to your Android mobile without any problem.
One of the great advantages it offers the user is that it allows him to configure it to show only essential elements while he is driving, such as calls, navigation or music playback.
Specifically in this post, we will give you all the detailed information regarding How to configure Android Auto to get the most out of this app? , with the help of a simple step-by-step guide.
What is Android Auto and what is this app for drivers for?
This is an application for Android that allows you to have the most useful apps at hand on your mobile screen or on the compatible screen of your vehicle . One of the most interesting aspects is that it is designed in a format that makes it easy for people to use, so that they do not lose concentration while driving. Some of the most popular functions that can be configured are navigation, text messages, music, maps, calls, etc.
This way, you can enable only these to control them while driving . In this way, drivers avoid distractions by leaving only the most important and appropriate apps for driving enabled. It should be noted that their execution can be done through voice actions to make it much safer . Without a doubt, it is a way of maintaining safety when driving and respecting the premise of “Do not use your mobile while driving . “
Regarding its creation, it has been available since 2014. Its ease of use and its built-in functionalities have allowed it to rank as number 1 in the top of Google Play Store apps . You can find it on all mobiles that have Android 5.0 Lollipop . It can be used in different ways, that is, you can access it from the screen of your vehicle using a USB cable , on the screen of the car wirelessly or from the screen of your mobile.
Requirements to start using Android Auto
There are certain minimum aspects that you must meet in order to enjoy using Android Auto .
Next, we will mention all the requirements to start using the app either in your car or on a cell phone:
In vehicle display with USB cable
- A mobile that has Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or any other later version. Also, you must have a data plan .
- A car compatible with Android Auto .
- Quality USB cable .
- Have the Android Auto app (all devices with Android 10 or later versions already have the application installed).
In car display (wireless)
- A replacement car or receiver that is compatible with Android Auto Wireless.
- An Android mobile compatible with an active data plan, along with the most recent version of the app on devices such as a smartphone with Android 11.0 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi. A Google or Samsung device with Android 10.0. It can also be a Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8 + or a Note 8 with Android 9.0.
On the mobile screen
- A mobile phone running Android version 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later. Besides, you must have a data plan. It should be noted that it is best to have the most recent version of Android on the device for better performance.
- A holder to put the phone in the vehicle . Although this is an optional requirement, it is highly recommended.
- A USB cable (to always keep the mobile charged).
- Have the Android Auto app installed .
Android Auto features and tools What can I do from this application?
As we have indicated previously, it is designed so that the driver has fewer distractions on the road and thus has a much safer journey. One point in favor of this app is that it includes a series of interesting features .
We will specify them below:
- Google Assistant: with this function you can use your voice to give simple directions such as finding routes, playing music, checking the weather, etc. To start enjoying it you just have to say “Ok Google” .
- Navigation tools to find the best routes: you can take advantage of Google Maps and Waze, in order to get the best routes during your trip. You can even ask the Google Assistant to locate available gas stations along the way.
- Call and chat functions: the Google Assistant takes care of reading your messages out loud and replying to them by speaking. It is perfect both for making calls or to use chat applications with only your voice.
Without a doubt, it is a complete tool that will allow you, through its voice assistant , to carry out simple tasks on your mobile without touching it. In this sense, you can play your favorite music, find the best routes to avoid traffic, answer messages, make calls and much more. Android Auto is one of the safest ways to drive and control your mobile at the same time, in a 100% safe way.
Learn step by step how to configure Android Auto correctly
To set up Android Auto for the first time there are certain steps you must take.
Therefore, we will explain the step by step to follow according to the team from which you are going to enter:
On a vehicle screen (with USB cable)
- Check that the mobile meets the minimum requirements for use and that it has a fast mobile data connection.
- Make sure the vehicle is compatible with Android Auto and that it keeps the configuration service activated.
- Before connecting your phone for the first time, start your vehicle .
- Connect the USB cable to the corresponding port in the car and the other end to the phone.
- You may be asked to download the app on your mobile or update the app to its latest version.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup. It should be noted that Bluetooth will be activated automatically when Android Auto is connected to the vehicle via the USB cable.
- On the car screen, select the Android Auto option and continue with the prompts to get started.
In the car display (wireless)
- Check that the mobile meets the minimum requirements to enjoy the app and that it has a stable data connection.
- Please confirm the vehicle is compatible with the Wireless Android Auto version.
- If this is the first time you connect the mobile , you must link it through Bluetooth.
- Connect one end of a USB cable to the car and the other end to the Android phone.
- You may be asked to download the app or update it.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the setup.
- Wireless connections may take a few seconds to start . Also, you may have to press the Android Auto option on the car screen.
- When you stop using Android Auto wirelessly, on your phone’s notification screen, click Exit car mode .
On the mobile screen
- Revisa que tu móvil utilice al menos Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) o versiones posteriores. Sin embargo, lo mejor es trabajar con la versión más reciente de Android.
- En caso de que tu móvil use Android 9 o alguna versión anterior, debes descargar Android Auto en Google Play.
- Corrobora que tu teléfono cuente con un plan de datos y una conexión veloz. Si es la primera vez llevando a cabo la configuración, te recomendamos hacerlo mediante una conexión Wi-Fi para que el procedimiento sea más rápido.
- Si tienes Android 9 o versiones anteriores, abre la app. En caso de Android 10, abre la app para pantallas de teléfonos.
- Continúa con las instrucciones.
In case you have already paired the mobile with the Bluetooth of the mount or vehicle, press the device to enable the automatic start of Android Auto.
Android Auto won’t connect or work How to fix this problem?
Currently, many vehicles have the Android Auto application built into their central console , because it is ideal for the user to control aspects such as GPS navigation, call and message management, multimedia playback, etc., through their voice and thus avoid distractions during your tours.
Apart from that, it is also possible to install it on mobile phones to enjoy its many advantages. However, when executing the connection, there may be problems. If that is your case, you should know that there are multiple solutions for it .
Some methods that you can apply to solve connection problems with Android Auto are listed below:
Check that the mobile is compatible
If you have problems using this application , the first step you should take is to check that your mobile is compatible .
Android Auto may stop working at some point, so the step by step to follow in these cases is:
- To continue using the app, you may need to install all system updates , as well as all supported multimedia and messaging applications.
- Once they are updated, turn off your phone and turn it on
- Try to connect again.
Check that the vehicle is compatible
You may also have problems connecting if your car is not compatible with this app. Therefore, it is necessary that you verify that it is compatible with the service or at least have a spare installed. Please note that Android Auto does not work with all vehicles that have a USB port. If you realize that, indeed, it is not compatible, the only solution in these cases is to use a radio compatible with the app.
To find it, you can go to sites like Amazon and use search terms like:
- Radio compatible with Android Auto (car model).
- Android Auto compatible radio (inch screen).
- Radio compatible with Android Auto (1 DIN / 2 DIN).
Added to that, another alternative is to simply use the application on your mobile . Although it is not so convenient, you can connect it to the car sound system using a USB cable or a 3.5mm mini jack cable.
Make sure the USB cable is compatible
Not all the USB cables you get are compatible with all vehicles, so you may have connection problems due to this factor. It is best to work with high quality cables .
Some suggestions that you can take into consideration to choose a good USB cable are:
- Use one with a length less than 2 m long and avoid the use of extensions.
- Check that you have the USB icon .
- E n if Android Auto work properly, but no longer can solve the inconvenience of changing cable.
Won’t connect via Bluetooth
If the problem that is occurring is directly with the car’s Bluetooth connection , the way to solve it is very simple. The only thing to do is unpair and re-link the car on the cell phone .
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Access the application Settings , sliding the main menu to the right.
- Tap Connected Cars .
- Click on the three points on the top bar and select Forget all cars.
- Uncheck the Add new cars to Android Auto box.
Finally, carry out the same process in the Android Settings as such, specifically in the Bluetooth section with the car’s Bluetooth connection .
Take a look at some options in your vehicle or receiver
Likewise, many times the connection problem is usually directly related to the vehicle or receiver .
So you can try the following options to find the solution:
- Check that the app is activated in the car’s infotainment system.
- Restart the infotainment system .
On the other hand, if you use an accessory receiver (as in the case of a Kenwood or Pioneer console) , you must do the following:
- Check the manufacturer’s website to see if updates are available for the firmware.
Check the settings in case you are connecting with another car
In the event that you are connecting with another vehicle , you may also experience these types of problems.
The procedure to follow to solve it is:
- Disconnect the mobile phone from the car.
- Open the Android Auto application on the mobile.
- Go to Menu / Settings / Connected vehicles .
- Uncheck the box that is located next to the option to “Add new Android Auto”.
- Try again to connect the phone in the vehicle.
Keep in mind that if none of the possible solutions works for you, you should reinstall the application and download the latest version . But you should know that the latest version of the app is not in Google Play, so you will have to resort to websites like APK Mirror to get it.
Android Auto tricks to get the most out of this app for drivers
Once you are clear about how this interesting application works and what is the procedure to configure it, you should know that there are a series of tricks that will allow you to get the most out of it. We share with you the 10 best Android Auto tricks !.
Let’s see some of them:
Allow auto start in car
Android Auto is an app specifically designed to work in the car and facilitate people’s driving experience, however, it is cumbersome to have to find and open it each time it is used. Therefore, an excellent idea is to make the app open automatically every time you enter your car and connect to Bluetooth.
To do this, you have to carry out the following procedure:
- Open the side menu of the app.
- Enter Settings .
- Next, tap on Car settings .
- Select the option to Activate automatically .
- Once there, you can choose between two options: activate when the device is connected to the car via bluetooth or when it is detected that you are driving through movement and bluetooth.
Activate or deactivate do not disturb mode
Once you have configured the app to connect to the car automatically, you should know that do not disturb mode is generally activated . However, there is an option with which the Google Assistant can tell you the notifications you receive .
In case you want to use Do Not Disturb mode and take advantage of it, you should do the following:
- Enter the side menu of the application.
- Go to Settings / Car Settings .
- Click on Behavior .
- Inside there, select between Open Android Auto to use the car or activate the Do not disturb mode.
Organize the applications that you will use the most
Another trick that will help you improve your driving experience is to organize the applications you use the most so that only those are shown in the menu on your car’s screen.
To do this, do the following:
- Go to the side menu and enter Settings .
- Select on Personalize application menu .
- Choose between the option to organize alphabetically or custom .
- Below, you can order the apps that you want to be displayed and their respective order.
Avoid distracting incoming messages
One of the most important advantages that Android Auto offers over others is the possibility of configuring it so that notifications are not displayed on the screen , in order to avoid distractions.
You only have to:
- Go to the Android Auto side menu .
- Enter Settings .
- Deactivate the option to View received messages , located in the Notifications section .
- You can also disable various types of notifications.
Quickly and easily answer any call
Thanks to the use of this app, the hands-free of your mobile phone will be activated automatically when they call you, so that when you want to talk, you will only have to press on the off-hook button. An interesting fact is that the last call received or that you have made will remain on the screen, so that you will only have to click on it to contact that number again . It is ideal for those scenarios in which the call drops and you must return it.
Another trick that users can enjoy is to open Spotify to listen to music while driving.
To be able to enjoy this function you must do the following:
- Go to the main screen and select the headset button .
- A list of music or podcast apps you have installed will be displayed .
- Touch the one you want
For example, if you use Spotify, it will open and when you exit it, it will remain in the background with the controls in Android Auto .
Observe the price of the nearest gas stations
Another very interesting feature that this app has is that it is compatible with others such as Google Maps or Waze . Thanks to this, it is possible to enjoy functions such as observing the list of nearby gas stations along with their prices . That way, you will know in a few seconds the cost of gasoline at each station.
To use this function you must:
- Go to the main screen and press the button with the icon of the traffic direction with an arrow.
- A menu will open where you can log into Waze .
- When you enter the app, enter its side menu and then Gas Stations .
- Finally, you just have to browse the list of gas stations and click on the option you want to find out about.
Decide whether to keep the screen always on or not
By default, Android Auto has a setting that makes your mobile screen always stay on while you are running it.
However, if for some reason you don’t want this to work like this, you can change this setting:
- Enter the app and go to the side menu.
- Select Settings .
- Disable the Screen On function .
- Choose from Always On, During Charging, or Device Defaults.
Manage connected cars
Did you know that you can use Android Auto on multiple cars? . To review this section, you just have to go to the app settings and enter Connected Cars . A list of all compatible cars to which you have previously connected Android Auto will be displayed . If you wish, you can unlink the ones you prefer. You can also decide whether or not you want the history of the cars to be added to the list. In the event that a linking error has occurred in one of them, you can take a look at it in the rejected cars section.
Use Developer Mode
As you have seen, Android Auto is a very simple app to use. Consequently, on occasion, you may want to use other types of tricks that are a little more specific.
With the help of Developer Mode, you can get more out of this tool:
- Enter the app and go to the side menu .
- Go to Settings .
- Within this menu, tap 10 times on the app version, at the bottom .
- You will be asked if you want to activate developer mode .
- Activate it and click on the button with three dots located at the top right, to take a look at the developer options.