Today the use of electronic messaging is done on a daily basis, since both for students and professionals It is a fundamental tool for organizing and managing information.
For this reason, you may have your email saturated with information and you need enough space to be able to save valuable content. Most Outlook users use the free version and they face the inconvenience of requiring more storage capacity.
That is why in this article we will help you solve this problem and We will tell you what are the operations that you can execute to take advantage of it and save a few GB of space, so that you can continue taking advantage of the free version.
What is the storage limit for a free Outlook account?
You have to know that free Outlook accounts only have 15GB of storage space in the mailbox. And, if you are needing a greater capacity, we must tell you that the way to achieve this in your email is by subscribing to Microsoft 365, because with this version you have a free space of 50 GB in your mailbox.
In case of have limitations to buy one of the plans offered by this web developer, maybe you can try some methods to avoid the message “Full mailbox” or “Quota exceeded.”
Learn how to configure your Outlook email storage
Do not worry if you can’t subscribe to Microsoft 365, because here we are going to recommend several procedures that you must do manually so that you keep your mailbox clean and not saturated.
Go for it:
Create rule for messages with attachments
In Outlook. you can manage automatic actions, in this case we advise you to use the “Rules Wizard” To create a rule for the attached messages you receive, you will find this setting in the button “Rules”. You can condition this action as you see fit, for example: emails that contain attachments, you must configure them to move to a folder that you can create with the name “Attachments”.
Then decide if you delete and save them on your computer, the idea of all this is not to monopolize space in your account. You can also customize these elements so that are organized by size, according to the weight of the attachments, and thus know which ones store more space. You should be very specific in the characteristics of the rulesTake your time and decide how you want to manage these types of emails.
In general, proceed as follows:
- In “Archive” search “Manage rules and alerts.”
- Find the tab “Email”, and indicates new rule for received messages.
- Change or restructure the description of this rule and its conditions to suit your needs.
Migrate attachments to OneDrive
There are emails with attachments that you can consider very important, in this case we tell you that to decongest your inbox, select these messages and upload them to the OneDrive cloud.
- In your message list you must use the button “Filter”.
- The last option is “Tidy”, here select “Size”.
- Now upload email attachments to OneDrive that you want to keep.
- In the email with attachment that you have selected, be sure to configure “Save to OneDrive.”
Delete old or spam messages
Surely you have messages in your tray that you do not know how long they have been there, you must start now and dedicate yourself to cleaning what you don’t need in your mailbox to reclaim space.
Let’s correct this:
- In Outlook go to “Settings”> “General” and look in the tab breakdown “Storage”.
- In this section you will find the information on the amount of space you have used and the list of your folders. From here you can delete all the elements, those that are older than three, six or twelve months.
Regarding the messages in the folder “Unwanted mail”, They will be here for at least 10 days to be automatically destroyed. To reduce storage from this mailbox we advise you to delete them manually in this way: First shade the messages, press the “Shift” and “DEL” key.
Cancel newsletter subscriptions
Try to pay attention to all the subscriptions you make daily while browsing the web because when you find out your mailbox will be full of ads, promotions, discounts and other unnecessary content.
The Newsletter, which in the end are SPAM, they are going to monopolize storage space and we do not want that. To unsubscribe these messages, look in the Outlook reading view pane for the cancellation of your subscription, on the sender side there is an option to remove it. There is another faster alternative to avoid voiding one by one. If you want to permanently delete all subscriptions to your account, then enter the page
Unroll.me. This tool is capable of taking away that headache in one click.
Empty the trash
When you delete your emails from the inbox, you probably think that they don’t take up more space on your account. However, these messages remain in the “Deleted Items Folder” for at least 30 days. As we told you in the previous section, get rid of them with “Shift” and “DEL”.
How can I increase the storage of my Outlook account?
Many people they are looking for large storage capacity in their emails due to the number of messages they receive daily and everything they upload to the cloud of Outlook. That is why, to forget a bit about finding ways to guarantee space in your mailbox, we recommend that better subscribe to a Microsoft 365 account.
The reason is because you can access a space of 50 GB of mailboxes in the Premium version of Outlook and depending on the plan that suits you, you can pay it annually or monthly with your credit card. Microsoft 365 segments its plans for the home and for MSMEs.
In relation to these plans we can name you some:
- Microsoft 365 Family: Being a Premium account it has security functions in the mobile application, it is ideal for 2 to 6 users. It comprises 6 TB of cloud storage and each user has 1 TB of space. You can buy it for 86, 51 EUR per year or 8.65 EUR if you prefer to maintain a monthly fee.
- Microsoft 365 Personal: as the name implies it is for one person and offers 1 TB of storage. The annual package has a price of 60.61 EUR, and if it is convenient for you to cancel monthly the price is 6.05 EUR.
- Microsoft 365 Business Basic: This plan also houses 1TB OneDrive storage and file sharing. It has a limit of 300 users, contains Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel and PowerPoint in web and mobile versions. Get it per month at EUR 4.33 per user.
You can take your time to compare all the plans that are on the Microsoft page, study price and characteristics according to what suits your needs.
Next we are going to explain how you can get one of these plans:
Microsoft.comfrom your computer or mobile.
- Log in there.
- If you have the free version, the system will ask you “Change to Premium”, click this blue button.
- Then click on the three horizontal stripes which are located in the upper left part of the screen, a tab will be displayed.
- Go to “Microsoft 365” which is in the first position of that list.
- The page will redirect here click “Microsoft 365”, then at the end of the list press “Buy now”.
- In the header of the page, there is a form where you can select your country.
- The system will direct you to the page of their products, presenting the characteristics of all their plans that include “For home” Y “For MiPyMEs”.
- Choose the plan you want to subscribe to and press “Buy now”.
- Then the page it will be redirected to your cart.
- Choose your payment method and request proof of payment. It will be sent to your email address.