For many reasons, sometimes we prefer not to connect any peripherals to the Raspberry Pi and, in these cases, it is very practical to control it remotely. For it, There are many applications that allow you to manipulate the device as if we were in front of it, but without touching it.
They do not require deep computer skills to make the connection. Even if you are a newbie, by putting the steps in this tutorial into practice you will get the remote connection up and running in just a few minutes, without making mistakes that delay your project.
The remote connection can be done from any platform, no matter what Windows, Mac or Linux. With this clear, we are going to discover the easy and fast way to use this function as well as some Helpful methods and tools when manipulating your Pi remotely.
What is the use of connecting remotely to a Raspberry Pi?
This function is for configure the Raspberry Pi system if you are not in front of it, connecting from another computer, tablet and even a smartphone.
Many times, installing a keyboard, monitor and mouse to this minicomputer is an unnecessary task, the work becomes heavy and it is even difficult to execute the commands. You may also have those peripherals busy on other computers. Thus, It is preferable to have the remote configuration ready to work without obstacles. Finally, we add that you can also take on monitoring tasks, install software or send emails.
What do I need to keep in mind when connecting remotely to my Raspberry Pi to be successful?
You must bear in mind that remote assistance programs used on the Raspberry Pi work with an internet connection. So, for the experience to be pleasant, you must have a stable upload and download speed, because otherwise the work will be affected and reduced.
Learn step by step how to activate the remote access services of your Raspberry Pi quickly and easily
Have in your hands the possibility of managing your monoplate, with a remote desktop, gives you many advantages. We start by seeing how we can activate the services we need from Raspberry Pi OS and Linux.
Let’s see next:
From Raspberry Pi OS
By having the raspbian desktop, as this operating system was known before, we access the configuration where we can make various changes displayed in the window.
To do so, we follow the following steps:
- Go to the “Start Menu“.
- We look for the section “Preferences”.
- Press “Setting”.
- When I loadA link will appear to access various settings.
- We enter “Interfaces“and we activate the ones we need from an extensive list.
- When finished selecting, we click on “To accept”.
For perform this configuration, we must enter the terminal Linux, this regardless of whether or not we have the graphical environment installed.
Follow the steps as follows:
- Once in the terminal, run the following command:
- Now a window opens with several items to configure. Search until you get the one called “Interfacing Options”.
- When entering, shows all the services that can be activated, choose the ones that interest you and give it “To select”.
Find out how to remotely connect to your Raspberry Pi using SSH
The SSH (Secure Shell) connection allows us to connect remotely through a terminal without having a monitor installed, being able to do any operation you need:
- To start, you need to activate “SSH “ on the Raspberry Pi.
- Now you go to “Start Menu”, “Preferences” and “Setting”.
- A window opens in which you must select the option “Interfaces“.
- Once there, make sure to activate the option “SSH” and press “To accept”.
Windows does not have an SSH Client installed natively, in order to use it you must use an extra program:
- Once you install the program, open windows terminal and you look at the IP address that has been assigned.
- After, activate the same option on the Raspberry Pi.
- Open the program WinSCP and enter the data that is being requested.
- Among others, it introduces the “Raspberry IP”, “Password” and you give to “Connect”.
- With this we are ready to carry out the tasks that we have pending.
Unlike Windows, Linux already comes with the SSH protocol natively. So in this case you don’t need to install an additional program if you want to connect from your Raspberry through a free software distribution.
The steps you have to take are the following:
Open a terminal and enter the following command:
ssh [email protected].
- Once you enter the data, it will ask you if you want to continue with the connection.
- You must write “And it is” and then it will ask for your access credentials, including the password.
- When you enter the data, you can now use your Raspberry through Linux.
In the case of this operating system, also remote desktop can be activated through the application that is built into the terminal or, in any case, use some other remote access tool.
But, we are going to show you how to do it from the terminal:
Open terminal and type the following command:
ssh [email protected]followed by the IP address.
- Asks you if you want to continue the connection, indicate that “Yes”.
- In some seconds, it will ask for your username and password.
- Everything is ready to work with your Raspberry remote form.
We show you the steps to follow to connect to your Raspberry Pi remotely using Putty
Putty is an SSH client that allows remote connection with servers, once you log in. It is free license and, although at first it could only be used in Windows, the presence has been extended to other platforms.
The connection is very simple, just follow the steps below:
Download the program from your website
- When you open it, a window appears in which you must enter the IP of your Raspberry.
- After logging in, another window appears in which you must put username and password.
If you have the default password, you can change it with this command:
- The new credentials they will be the ones you use in the next logins.
Steps to remotely connect to your Raspberry Pi mini computer using VNC
VNC or Virtual Network Computing it’s a tool based on free software that allows you to control a PC using the server-client structure.
Two good reasons to use it are that remote connections are not lost even though there are temporary interruptions and that it uses little resources:
It is done included in Raspberry Pi OS system, but not activated.
To enable it, use the following command:
Set up your PC
Once let’s install it, when running we enter the IP address, an access password and we will be connected to the remote computer.
Learn step by step how to connect remotely to your Raspberry Pi using Webmin fast and easy
Unlike the other two tools, Webmin works with a web browser and from there the Raspberry Pi is managed. The interface is very friendly and, although at the beginning it was basically for Linux, the latest versions can be installed on Windows.
Install the tool
The first step is download the tool from its official page.
To install the file, we execute this command:
sudo dpkg -i webmin_1.670_all.deb.
When it is finished installing, will automatically be configured, in a few minutes it will be ready.
Use the browser
When installed, We open the browser and put the URL of the Raspberry including HTTPS. Port 10000 and the first screen appears immediately. On the left side, you can see the “Webmin Settings”. It also can configure the SSH server of the Raspberry. With this web application, we can manage our computer from anywhere without any complications.
List of the best programs to remotely access a Raspberry Pi that you should know right now
Now we focus on four applications that will also give us the possibility to connect remotely and do any work on our Raspberry Pi:
This software, which is available for multiple platforms, provides remote support. It’s free for end users, but companies can sign up for a paid plan. No advanced computer skills are required to use it. Once It is installed on both computers and the keys are configured, they communicate quickly with each other, seeing the monoplate as if you were in front of it.
This open source implementation it is based on the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). Allows you to graphically control a system remotely and can be used portable without installing anything. It is not installed by default on the Raspberry, however, with a stable internet connection, it fulfills the required functions.
This is an open source program that is on Linux, Windows and Mac. It is free and very easy to work with. When installed, allows access by several users simultaneously, with the particularity that each one can be assigned certain applications and not a complete environment. The way to run it is directly through the server.
It is in the top among the best remote connection tools. It has a paid version and a free one that fulfills most of the functions. The only thing that is necessary is to install the application on the devices, then it will give us a code that is used to control the computer. By configuring the password and entering the ID number, you can now view both devices and work remotely.