Surfing the Internet safely is a very important aspect that must be taken into account at all times. For this reason, it is convenient to use all the tools that you have at your fingertips in Windows 8.
This is the case with VPN service providers. Which allow you to browse anonymously and encrypt the information so that it reaches the server of the page you visit safely.
If you want to know what are the advantages of using VPN and how you can create a virtual network in Windows 8, you will have to continue reading this article to the end.
What are the main advantages of using a VPN to surf the Internet?
When you use a virtual private network, also called a VPN, you create a computer tunnel in which you connect your computer directly to the VPN server so that it communicates with the hosting of the page you want to visit. In this way you ensure that communication is direct and that there is no possibility of it being intercepted by third parties. In addition to being able to navigate in a hidden way, you will avoid the geolocation of your computer.
Thus, you can visit pages that are prohibited, for different reasons, in your country or in your geographical area. Another advantage you have when you use VPN is the possibility of remotely manage devices that are connected to the same virtual private network. This means that you can access a printer that is located anywhere and send your documents to print without any problem.
Learn step by step how to create and connect to a VPN in Windows 8
When you want to connect to a VPN server in Windows 8 you will have to perform these steps:
The first thing you will have to do is enter the Start button and look for the Control Panel.
Then you will have to follow this guide:
- Look for the option Center network and sharing and press the same.
- Go to Set up a new connection or network.
- Choose Connect to a workspace.
- Then click Following and then in Use my internet connection.
- Enter the Internet address to connect to a workspace or server VPN. An example of this would be internetpasoapaso.com.
- Then write the destination name, for example, New VPN connection.
- Check the box Remember my credentials.
When you have completed the previous step you should continue in this way:
- Click on the Internet connection icon, located on the Windows 8 taskbar, which may be via WiFi or via LAN. Then right click and tap Network and Internet.
- Another way you have to do the previous step is to go to Control Panel and select Network and Internet.
- Then you will have to choose Center network and sharing and click on the function Change adapter settings, located on the left side of the window.
- Next, you will have to right click on VPN connection and select the option Properties.
- Go to the tab Security.
- Write in the field VPN type: Secure Sockets Tunneling Protocol (SSTP).
- Then you will have to enter the option Requires encryption (disconnect if the server does not accept the connection) in “Data encryption:”.
- When you are done, you must choose in Use Authentication Protocol (EAP) – Select Protected EAP (PEAP) Tool (Encryption Enabled).
- Click on the function Properties.
- Check the box Verify the identity of the server by validating the certificate.
- It also enables the box “Connect to these servers (examples: srv1; srv2;. * /. Srv3 / .com):”.
- In the countryside Trusted Root Certification Authorities you will have to enable the option DigiCert Assured ID Root CA.
- In Notifications before connecting, you will have to choose the option Inform the user if the VPN or server name was not specified.
- When you are in the field related to the authentication method you will have to choose the option Secure password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).
- Next, you must click on the button Set up and uncheck the box Automatically use Windows login name and password (and domain, if any).
Once you are done with these steps you will have to enable the gateway to be able to access remotely to other computers or databases.
For this you will have to perform this task:
- Right click on VPN connection.
- Choose Properties.
- Then go to Properties of the VPN connection and click on the tab Network functions.
- Check the box Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4).
- Tap on Properties and choose the function Advanced Options.
- Then enable on the tab IP settings the Use the default gateway on remote network box.
When you already have created and configured the VPN network on your computer Windows 8 you will be ready to connect.
The steps you will have to do are:
- Go to the taskbar and choose the application Networking.
- Then click Connect.
- Enter username and password to authenticate your ID. Then click To accept.
List of the best VPN services to have a more secure connection in Windows 8
We will show you below the best VPN servers you can find so that you can connect safely through Windows 8:
With this VPN server you will be able to hide your real IP address and transform it for another that has a location in a country other than yours. In this way you will be able to access streaming platforms that are blocked in your geographical area.
But this is not all also encrypt by means of a connection with 256-bit AES all the messages you send to the hosts of the web pages you visit. This improves security. since the server does not keep logs of your activities. You will have a free 30-day trial that you can use without any problem in Windows 8.
Download ExpressVPN Windows
If you are one of the people who like to download torrent files With this VPN service you will be able to do any type of restriction, since you will keep your identity secret thanks to the possibility of connecting with the servers that are located in more than 50 countries. It has an extension for Chrome and Firefox browsers, so its use becomes even easier. If you prefer, you can sign up for a subscription for up to 6 devices.
Download NordVPN Windows
This service specialized in Windows 8 you can install it on your computer for free. It has more than 50 servers located around the world, which allows you to choose which one you want to connect to so that you can unblock certain sites that are geographically restricted. The browsing speed exceeds 25 Mb / s, so it converts on one of the fastest and most symmetrical VPN servers that exist today.
Download FreeOpenVPN Windows