Nowadays, Slack is one of the most effective tools that companies, companies or organizations can use around the world. Since, it consists of an instant messaging platform that has been designed to simplify and optimize work connections in the digital environment. That way, all members can communicate with each other as if they were at their physical workplace.
In addition to support great customization and be able to adapt to the needs of each company, Slack is distinguished as an application that puts safety first. This, in order to guarantee the protection of all the information that is handled in the workspaces and avoid vulnerabilities that jeopardize the integrity of the organization.
Thanks to this, Slack users have the possibility of use two-factor authentication on your account in order to provide much more security of access to each member. So given its usefulness, it is valuable to know how to enable such functionality correctly and what tools can be linked to it.
What is two-factor verification and why should you use it in your Slack account?
In general terms, the two factor authentication is defined as a tool provided by various online service providers with the aim of add an extra layer of security to each account during the login process. This, by means of a verification code That can be obtained through the mobile device, via email and even using a third-party app.
Therefore, in Slack, is classified as an ideal security tool for increase privacy in workspaces. Therefore, it is recommended that owners and administrators require their members and guests to activate authentication. 2FA when they log into this platform. Taking into account that, the main reason for this, is that acts as a barrier that helps prevent unwanted intrusion into a Slack account.
Now, specifically, on this platform, two-factor authentication works in the following way: Once it is activated within the account in question, all members and guests will receive a verification code (on your mobile device or through an authentication app) and in order to log in, it will be necessary enter this code to validate it together with the password. Which, it is necessary to do it every time you want to log in.
Learn step by step how to enable 2-factor verification in Slack quickly and easily
As we indicated in the previous part, with two-factor authentication, Slack promises to add an extra layer of security for prevent access by unwanted third parties and this, you can do it through a verification code that will reach the user in two different ways, depending on what you choose.
Either from your mobile phone or through an authentication app compatible with Slack. That is why, below, we show you how to enable verification of 2FA in Slack basing this authentication process in an SMS received through your smartphone or, in another case, using Google Authenticator as the default app for it.
Let’s see below:
With SMS to mobile
For ease, convenience or for any reason, there are many users of Slack who choose enable 2FA authentication and use the text message option as the primary method of logging into your accounts.
Therefore, we begin by teaching you what you have to do to enable this function in this way:
- Using the Slack web version from your computer, log into your account as you normally do to access the corresponding workspace
- Later, enter the section of Settings from account. Which, you can do by choosing your profile photo in the upper right corner, clicking on “View profile”, select the icon “Plus” and click “Account settings”. Or, from the following link:
- When you are in Settings account, locate the option “Two-factor authentication” in the second position and there, click the button “Expand”.
- Once you see the details of Two Factor Authentication, it’s time to press the button “Enable two-factor authentication”.
- Followed by this, in the new window that they show you, you have to type the password of your Slack account and click on “Confirm password” to be able to continue.
- Then, between the two available options, choose “Text message” to establish this method on the platform and obtain the access codes via SMS.
- Now, you must select your country in the corresponding menu (if not, just choose “Other”) and also enter your phone number with the appropriate area code.
- At this point, the system will send you a verification code of 6 digits to the mobile number that you placed in the previous step and this, you must write it in the platform’s two-factor authentication settings.
- Once you enter the mentioned code, proceed to click on “Verify code” and when Slack manages to validate it, automatically, this function will have been enabled.
Done all of the above, from now on, you will receive an SMS with an exclusive code every time you want to log into your Slack account or log into this workspace.
With Google Authenticator
In case you choose to use an authentication application to enable two-factor verification on your Slack account, first of all, you will have to download and install this app on your mobile device. Assessing that, fortunately, this platform it’s compatible with most time-limited, one-time password (TOTP) apps.
However, despite this compatibility, in most cases it is recommended use Google Authenticator or “Google Authenticator”, since, it presents support both with Android as well as with iOS. Added to this, it reveals an optimal operation because manages to successfully add Slack accounts, is fast and absolutely reliable.
Thus, in order to install the Google authenticator correctly, you have to start with download it through the Google Play Store or the App Store (according to your team). After that, execute each of the steps indicated on the mobile screen and tap on “Start” to be able to select the account in which you want to activate the service. Whether introducing a provided key or by scanning the QR code with the mobile camera.
For its part, to activate in Slack, the process you must follow consists of:
- Using your computer, open the official website of Slack and log in to your account to proceed to select your workspace from the main section.
- Now, in the upper right corner, click on your profile photo and in the menu, select “View profile”. For later, click on the option “Plus” and press on “Account settings”.
- In the next window, look for the Two-Factor Authentication option and press the button “Expand” this. For thus, click on “Enable two-factor authentication”.
- Next, it is time to enter the password of your account Slack in the space indicated and click on “Confirm password”.
- After, choose the option “Use an application” and add a new account in the authentication app (as we explained previously). In Google Authenticator, choose the account and scan the qr code or type it manually.
- After that, on the authentication page Slack 2FA, enter the new 6-digit verification code, generated by the service of Google.
- Finally, you have to click “Verifier code” and once it is validated, the final activation of the function will be carried out.
From now on, every time you log into your account, it will be required access the Google Authenticator installed on your mobile device, in order to get the passcode and enter it in Slack along with your account password.
List of the best 2FA tools to make your Slack account much more secure
As well as Google Authenticator, there are also other authentication tools that are effective for Increase Slack Security with 2FA Verification Feature.
Therefore, to help you in your choice when enabling this utility using a third-party app, here we will introduce you to three of the best that are compatible with Slack:
It is a totally free application that has support for both Android and iPhone and has been ranked as one of the best solutions for Slack. Taking into account that, thanks to the fact that it is a multiplatform solution, it also offers an application for Google Chrome and another for the desktop (on Windows and MacOS).
In addition, its main advantage is that all tokens are stored in the cloud and thanks to that, you can access them directly from any of your computers. Therefore, it is regarded as a very sophisticated 2FA application. Additionally, among other advantages, we find that logging into the application always stays protected with code and fingerprint, it is also easy to use and the migration to other devices is really simple.
Even, unlike other similar options, Authy offers an extra layer of security because allows you to configure a master password to access the interface where the tokens are displayed. Therefore, it minimizes vulnerability to theft or loss of devices.
Free and available for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone, is considered another of the best solutions to use in Slack in order to enable authentication of 2FA. Which is characterized by making use of two-factor authentication of Duo Security with the purpose of ensure a much more secure and reliable login. Taking into account that, it generates optimal access codes and performs a faster identification than other apps.
And if that was not enough, Duo Mobile has the ability to hide default codes and, therefore, to be able to view them, the user will have to press the specific token. This is very helpful for avoid exposing yourself to certain prying eyes. Added to that, it is an authentication application minimalist, no additional settings and very simple to use on any mobile device.
Although only available for iPhone and iPad, the truth is that it is considered as another of the best authentication apps to link with Slack, because it is recommended by the same platform system. This one, you can download it free and reliable through the Apple Store. Thus, it helps you receive the 6-digit verification code necessary to access your accounts in a much safer way.
And if that was not enough, 1Password also works as an optimal password manager on iOS, which demonstrates a fairly solid security to improve the privacy of its users, safely storing their logins and giving them new passwords harder to break down. Apart from this, it employs 256-bit AES encryption, has an attractive design, has sync support through iCloud and Dropbox, plus it is easy to use.