When browsing the Internet it is important to protect the security of our accounts to prevent them from being hacked and stealing personal data of those who want to do wrong.
On many websites there is the possibility of authenticate the user with a two-step verification system to add one more layer of protection to our information.
The microblogging social network Twitter added this option a few years ago. That is, it is no longer enough to write your password to access, but also it will be necessary to enter a code or take some additional action and in this way confirm your identity.
What do I need to activate double factor authentication on my Twitter?
When Twitter enabled this option, sIt was only available to those linking a phone number with the account. Nowadays, this requirement is no longer mandatory and, despite the fact that the two-step verification via SMS, there are also two more possibilities.
To enable two-factor authentication, you only need to have a Twitter account which you can access with a mobile device or from the web version on your computer.
Advantages and benefits of having 2-step verification on Twitter Why activate it?
Every time someone creates an account on any website that requires it, it is supposed that the username and password are only known by the person who configured them. But it can also happen that someone guesses them or, in case the website suffers an information leak, it is possible to use that data against you.
Two-step verification increases the security of our accounts even if your password was not very reliable, since it will be necessary to reconfirm by another means. Once you enable this option in your Twitter account, you will make sure that it is only you who enters your profile, thus protecting your data.
An additional advantage of this systemIt is very easy to configure and you can do it in just a couple of minutes. It is not necessary to follow complex steps to activate it and you will have several verification options, being able to choose the one that best suits your tastes.
Learn step by step how to enable two-factor authentication on Twitter
Enabling this option to secure our Twitter account will take a few moments and you can do it at any time.
To do it follow these steps:
- First, log in to Twitter and enter your user settings. Within the application, you must open the side menu and select the option "Settings and privacy" to access the settings.
- Once there, you must press the button "Bill".
- In this panel you can modify your username, password or email. You can also add or remove your phone number, which is no longer mandatory for two-factor authentication. You can activate it by entering the button "Security" that appears in this menu.
- Within the options "Security", you must click on the first "Two-phase authentication".
- In this window you will have the three double verification methods offered by Twitter.
- First "Text message", will allow us to log in after entering a code that the system will send us through SMS to our mobile. To use this feature, you will need to enter your phone number.
- The second option "Authentication application" indicates that in order to complete the process you must use a specialized application. It will serve as a second verification step, for example, Google Authenticator.
- The last verification option "Security key". It is not enabled in all browsers and it is necessary enter a physical key, for example, a USB, Bluetooth or NFC device, which is specially configured to verify identity.