Headphones are an important piece when you want to listen to music, or some voice memo in private either on our Smartphone or computer >. However, these accessories have a shelf life or on many occasions they begin to deteriorate due to use and time.
Therefore, if you are beginning to have a problem with your hearing aids, either because it sounds on one side or just cannot be heard, there are some ways that can be done to try to repair them before going to the store in search of new ones.
But, before discovering the methods to repair them it is important to consider what are the main reasons that these accessories no longer work , which we explain below .
What are the possible reasons why my headphones no longer work?
The lifetime of any accessory will depend largely on the care they receive, often using them in a bad way can cause damage, either removing them from the Smartphone the wrong way or just how they are saved, this can cause them to begin to fail in some way, thus prolonging their deterioration.
Because of this, here we are going to show you what are the possible reasons why the headphones may stop working shortly after purchase or with the time of use.
- Physical damage: Many times when you want to disconnect the headphones from the Smartphone we end up pulling the cable and not the connector >, keep in mind that this may place an unnecessary strain that will eventually become damaged.
- Keep the headphones connected: Usually, when you stop using the headphones, they usually leave connected to the mobile , this can cause the cable to become entangled with an object and create a tension in the cable that can cause damage.
- Hang up the headphones: Mostly people usually hang up the headphones either in their bag or simply on some desk to store them. However, gravity can affect them, as they will be unnecessarily stressing and this could affect the connection.
- Leave them on the ground: Leaving the headphones on the floor can be a double-edged sword, since you could accidentally damage it . Therefore, it is always recommended to leave them in a safe place either on a table or simply store them.
- Wrap the cable when not in use: You can say that this is one Of the most common errors with the cables, keep in mind that if the cable is wound or bent, it can affect the connection of the cable, this will cause it to not be heard correctly or simply stop ringing.
- Having contact with water: Any electronic device can be affected by this. In general, hearing aids can be easily damaged if they come into contact with water. If this happens it is important that you dry it immediately and place it outdoors.
Steps and methods to fix iPhone, Samsung or any brand of headphones homemade form
Keep in mind that if the damage to your headphones is not very serious, they can be fixed simply by applying a few methods . But, this will basically depend on how serious the damage is.
Usually, most of these failures are due to that the cable has connection problems, the headphone jack has problems or is simply not heard by any of the headphones.
Thus, here are some ways to repair them and avoid buying new ones:
Repair the connector
One of the most common problems we can find in the headphones is with the connector , it is usually damaged when we remove it in a bad way or simply we pull the cable to release it from the mobile phone .
In this case it is best to replace that connector , either using a connector of another hearing aid that has it in good condition or simply buying one in some electronic accessories store .
For this it is important to perform the following steps:
- The first thing will be to look for a metal connector with a stereo connection. It is important that this connector be the same size as the one we are going to replace.
- The following will be to renew the outer cover of the hearing aid cables at least ½ inch or 1.25 cm of the bare wire. There you will find a cable red, one green and two copper wires.
- Now you will have to separate the red and green wires from the two copper . The two copper wires will be joined by a braid to make one.
- In the new connector you will unscrew the metal part from the plastic cover. Now carefully wind the three wires through the base of the new connector . They will be exposed at the end of the plastic cover.
- The following will be the metal part of the connector on the screw, you will stick it with a tape or weld it To make it much safer. the wires are soldered in the based on the metal part of the new connector, while the copper wires are soldered on the outside of the terminal . The green wire to the middle terminal and the red wire to the third terminal . Once this is done wait a few minutes while the welding cools.
- Finally, remove the metal part of the connector from the screw . It is important to insulate the hearing aid cables from the connector, in the same way to ensure that there is no exposed part of the wiring, it must be covered by the insulating tape. In this way, your new metal connector will be ready to be used again with your mobile phone.
Fix the speaker
In many cases the damage of the headphones is due to the horn or speaker , in case this is the problem of the accessory then we can repair it with a few steps. However, it will be necessary to have a speaker with the same characteristics as the original so that the repair can be carried out successfully.
To be able to do this it will be necessary to perform the following steps:
- To start, you will need to disassemble the headphones , keep in mind that this process varies depending on the model of the headphones.
- This requires loosen the earphone screws, a screwdriver of crosshead size 0. is usually needed
- On many occasions they usually have two or three screws. Once you are sure that you have released everything, you can remove the filling carefully.
- Now insert some flat tool into the crack of the base of the hearing aid dome to help with its separation.
- Hearing aids can usually be separated, but a new rubber seal may be needed later for their union. The problem is almost always in the headphone cable.
- On many occasions when the problem is the cables this is seen with the naked eye. Either some loose or broken cable which must rejoin the controller. For this it will be necessary to look for metal pins and re-solder the cable in the correct position so that it begins to make contact again. It is important that none of the wires touch each other.
You can also replace the driver if this is the case, but keep in mind that this can be a bit expensive. In the case of wanting to replace the controller completely, it is recommended to look for a technician specialized in the area, since this is usually a bit more delicate and not doing it correctly can completely damage the hearing aid.
However, in case you want to do it yourself you can perform these steps:
- The first thing will be to cut the rubber seal around the central layer , this can be done with the help of a sharp and fine knife.
- Then remove the conical conductor.
- Now the new controller is placed with the same characteristics as the previous one and in the same slot. It is important that the controller does not touch the thin diaphragm.
- Once placed it is recommended to add some glue around the edge to make it safer.
- Finally, it is important to make sure that none of the wires make contact with each other.
Fix the cable
One of the most common damage to the headphones is by the cable , this is because in many cases it is rolled up and saved in the wrong way thus causing That the same be reached from. This may cause the sound that is emitted by him to be interrupted repeatedly or even stop sounding at some times.
In this way, here we explain what steps to take to correct this type of problem:
- Before attempting to perform a headphone cable repair it is recommended to test the cable in order to find out where the cable is broken. For this it is necessary to use the headphones and carefully we bend them from the speaker and slide it along the cable. When the sound is interrupted the problem has been found.
- With a piece of tape we can mark the place where the cable break is.
- Now with the help of a wire stripper or a blade the outer layer of the cable should be cut, it is recommended to remove 1.25 cm or half an inch strong> of the outer shield.
- Then you should extend the cut to any direction in order to see the broken wire.
- In this case you can find two wires stuck together, each one will contain an insulated wire that is the signal and a bare wire that is the ground . In the case of Apple headphones has two insulated wires and a single ground wire.
- Once the problem site has been identified, the following will be cut the cable in two. If the cable is shredded it is recommended to cut both sides to eliminate the problem, In this case, the same amount of cable must be removed on the left and right side .
- If only one of the wires is broken, you can get to skip the welding step, without cutting or splicing, which will make the process much faster .
- The rubber cable cover must slide back while the repair is done and once it is finished it is covered again to protect the cables.
- The next thing will be to splice the cables, that is, join the cables. In this case it is important to join the cables with the same insulation color. There are two options a flexible cable splice and an in-line splice.
- In the case of the flexible cable splices , the two exposed areas of the cable to be joined must be lifted, placed parallel to each other and turned into braids to join them.
- In the case of in-line splices, the cables must be superimposed end to end and then turned in opposite directions, a more difficult process but easier to hide the repair .
- Now you need to use a soldering iron to melt a small amount of solder on the wires, this must be repeated on each of the connections so that they are well sealed and left cool down.
- Once cooled, you must keep the red and white ends separated from the ground wire, by wrapping the two pairs of joints with the insulating tape to avoid a possible contact between them.
- When you have covered with the insulating tape correctly you can use a heat gun to tighten it and prevent it let go over time.
When audio only comes out of one side span >
It is possible that at the time of using and connecting your headphones the sound is only emitted by one of them . This usually means that there is a connection problem in that headset, in this case the damage may be near the connector or along the cable.
For this, the following will have to be done:
- The first thing will be to do lever with a small flat tool to be able to open the earpiece case. In this case we can use a knife or a screwdriver. In some cases, the headphones are designed to open, otherwise you will have to add glue so that they come back together. When separating the housing it is necessary to push and turn them sharply down so that they separate.
- The next thing will be to check the headphones that are not ringing. Within the headset housing must have two copper wires , each of them going to a different terminal around the around the edge of the circular circuit board . There you will have to look for a broken wire or one that has been released from its terminal.
- If both cables are well connected and in good condition, then the problem can be found below the cable near the connector.
- Most of the time when one of the headphones does not sound is because the problem is in the connector that connects to the Smartphone or the computer. In In this case it will be necessary to remove the plastic protective cylinder and remove the entire rubber lining in order to see the cables contained there.
- In case some of the cables are found disconnected or damaged the corresponding actions must be taken.
- Please note that in some cases it is impossible to remove the barrel from your headphone jack , in these cases you have to cut them with the help of scissors and buy a new connector spare to solder the most exposed exposed cables.
- Now clean the old solder inside the headphones . In the cable that is presenting the fault or that has moved away from its terminal, the soldering iron must be heated and applied to the terminal and joined again with the cable, this will cause the copper cable to adhere again to the terminal .
- The next thing will be to solder wires that are loose or broken inside the handset. In this case you must reheat the soldering iron and make sure that each cable is properly connected to the terminals of the circuit board.
- Connect each color wire to its respective terminal to fix the connector again. Usually:
- The copper wire should go to the large central terminal
- The red wire > to the terminal on the right
- The green wire to the terminal on the left
- Once the cables are connected, the headphone connector must be reassembled in order to test them and make sure they work. If the connection of the cables to the terminals has been made in the correct way , your headphones will ring again on both outputs, a way to continue enjoying them.