At this time, Telegram is one of the most important instant messaging services of all. Because, due to the notable advantages it guarantees in terms of security, privacy, productivity and customization, many prefer this platform.
As a consequence, many users choose to download and install Telegram on all their computers, given that is a multiplatform solution. That is why, users of Linux or Ubuntu they can use the application from their computer for free.
However, since its installation process is different from that handled in other operating systems such as Windows or MacOS, said users have doubts when doing so. For this reason, here we will explain the steps to follow to install Telegram on Linux or Ubuntu.
Learn step by step how to install Telegram on Linux or Ubuntu quickly and easily
Although Telegram It is a multiplatform service, the truth is that There is no application for Telegram within the Ubuntu repositories as a Linux distribution, officially.
Which, basically, is because the developers of said instant messaging app preferred offer a generic binary file for installation. Therefore, all Linux or Ubuntu users have to rely on a third-party repository in order to have the possibility of installing the application, without obtaining any error as a result.
For this, you need to do the following on your machine:
- First of all, start with open a terminal on your computer that operates under Linux and / or Ubuntu.
- Then proceed to add the PPA, running the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/Telegram.
- Next, it is time to update the repositories, using the command:
sudo apt update.
- Finally, just it remains to install the application with the help of the command:
sudo apt install Telegram.
On the other hand, if at any given moment for any reason you want to uninstall the Telegram app on your machine, you need to proceed to run the following command from the terminal: sudo apt remove Telegram.
Now, in addition to the procedure detailed in the previous part to install Telegram, You can also do it in another way that is simple. In this case, it is use the Pidgin plugin which is an instant messaging client for Linux. That way, you only have to install the plugin for Telegram and add your account there.
Thus, specifically, the process consists of:
- Initially, add the webupd8 repository, using the command described here:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8.
- Thereafter, you have to proceed to update the sources with the command:
sudo apt-get update.
- Then, install the plugin just by entering the following instruction:
sudo apt-get install telegram-purple.
- After that, once you have installed the plugin, simply subtract access by adding your account from the Pidgin Accounts / Manage Accounts settings.
Even Linux and Ubuntu also support the installation of Telegram directly from the website of said service and using the terminal to enter the following commands (without the quotes):
What are the benefits of using Telegram from a Linux computer?
Many Linux users are interested in knowing what are the advantages of accessing your Telegram account and managing it through a Linux computer. Therefore, it is relevant to mention the main benefits of this so that they are safer to carry out any installation process they prefer.
Here, each of the most transcendental pros:
- Thanks to both Telegram and Linux they are open source services, users of this operating system can freely share, modify and study the source code of the platform.
- While it is true, Telegram is an app that uses its infrastructure with MTProto technology. Which is focused on multiplatform multisession and file transport regardless of its format or capacity; that way, you can ensure a better user experience on Linux.
- People using Linux and / or Ubuntu can take advantage of the power and efficiency of their machines in conjunction with Telegram to expand its capabilities as an instant messaging app.
- Because Telegram offers great security along with the secret chats feature, Linux users can increase the privacy of your computers when having online conversations.
- Unlike other operating systems, Telegram accepts different installation methods on Linux machines and any of its distributions. Therefore, users have the power to choose the one they prefer.