Many times, in social networks, we usually accept requests from person we don't know Really. In some cases because they are friends of our contacts or simply because they seem nice. However, this poses a risk.
Within what is considered as digital violence there are several types. Grooming, phishing, extortion, cyberbullying or cyberbullying are among them. This type of situation, in extreme cases, is considered a crime in many countries.
However, the first step to avoid its continuity or that the aggressor does not incur this violence with other users is to report it. By doing this, we collaborate with a healthier virtual community. In case you are not a victim, but you notice this type of situation, you must warn the platform immediately.
How do complaints on Facebook work? Are they really effective?
The company has departments around the world known as UO (user operations). They discuss issues related to bullying, inappropriate content, and user safety. These offices work 24 hours a day, throughout the year.
In addition to internal moderators, the company works in collaboration with suicide prevention, A network of support for the LGBT community, among other.
The most important thing to mention is that although the complaints are not anonymous, since Facebook knows the information of the complainant, these are never disclosed to the other person involved. When making the report, a moderator takes the case and reviews it. Depending on its severity, the perpetrator can range from receiving a warning to seeing your account suspended or disabled.
In the case of multiple complaints, Facebook is likely to take more severe measures. In any of the situations, the offender can request a re-review of the fundamentals. The effectiveness of the reports, always depend on the severity of the matter, the tests that are attached and the repetition of flagrante delicto.
Steps to report harassment or bullying on Facebook easy and fast
Harassment by a user should not be taken lightly. If you know someone who practices this horrible practice or if you are a victim of it, You should follow these steps and not be afraid of your identity being revealed:
Report a profile
- Enter the stalker's profile. You can do it by clicking on its name, in the case of chat, it appears at the top of it.
- At the bottom of the cover photo, next to the button "Message" one is found with three horizontal points. Click on it.
- From the drop down menu choose "Seek help or report a profile."
- Within the window that will appear, you must indicate the action that is closest to the case.
- Among other options appears the "block user" or "Stop following".
Report an offensive post
If you view a post that reasonably offends you, encourage racism, xenophobia or any other kind of hatred towards a group of people, or display inappropriate content. You can report a particular post. For it:
- Go to the post.
- In the upper right part of it you will find the three points. Click on them.
- Within the displayed, choose "Report Post or Seek Help".
- In the same way as with the profile, you must choose between the options shown.
- If none suits the situation, you can choose "Other" and describe what it is about.
It is important to say that if you fall because there is an imminent danger, you should notify the competent authorities and not wait for actions by the social network.
Report an offensive message by Messenger
This type of infraction requires a few more steps. To report a conversation you must take a screenshot of the message in question. You can use the keyboard button "Print Screen" or the sequence "Windows key + Shift + S" in Windows 10. In the case of the mobile it will depend on the manufacturer.
On the computer, go to the Messenger icon:
- Press "See everything in Messenger".
- In the upper left corner press "setting" (symbolized by a gear).
- At the end of the list, tap "There is a problem".
- Choose one of the categories, the one that most closely matches the problem.
- Describe the situation.
- Attach the screenshot to the clip.
- Press "post comments".
- Press on "Report conversation".
In Android you must follow these steps:
- Within the Messenger application, open the conversation to report.
- Click on the person's name.
- Within the options, choose "There is a problem".
- Choose from the recommended categories.
- Then press "Post comments".
- And to finish in "Report conversation".
Doing so will notify the Facebook team of the problem. Please note that if the reported site rules have not been violated, no action will be taken.
Report a Fanpage
If you come across a page within Facebook that does not comply with the rules of the site you must perform these steps:
- On the fan page, select the three dots that are on the cover.
- Choose "Report page".
- Choose from the options provided, what type of violation is involved.
- Click on "following".
- Then in "ready".
Tips for Facebook to listen to your reports of harassment or extortion on social networks
In theory, just by performing the act of reporting a profile, page or message, it would be enough for Facebook to take action on the matter. However, to give you more tools and speed up the process, we can add some or all of these recommendations:
Whenever a dispute arises, it is important you have evidence about it. Screenshots are an essential weapon to corroborate infringement reports.
Complaint as soon as possible
Do not wait any time to do it. Keep in mind that the longer you wait, the stalker is more likely to do the same with other users.
Ask other people to also report
The more they are the better. Facebook will take into account the number of victims and informers. This will act faster. And depending on the severity, you can even remove the perpetrator user.
It is important to repeat that, in severe cases, where the immediate health of another person is at risk, you should not wait for the actions of Facebook. Contact the police or the appropriate institution.