Both in your online computer portal and in your mobile applications, Gmail has the function to activate, personalize and deactivate your notifications according to the user’s need, thus allowing him to manage how he receives them.
Like all communication services, notifications are a vital part of how it works and we are fortunate that Gmail be very flexible about notification settings in all your email clients.
Next, we will show you the steps to follow so that you can browse Gmail settings, in any of your clients, and modify the notification settings.
Learn step by step how to disable or enable Gmail notifications on all available devices
Gmail has the advantage of be available on a multitude of devices, thanks to the wide compatibility of Google applications, which allows us to have your service both on our computer and on our mobiles and tablets.
According to the needs of each user, it is possible to customize the notification parameters of our Gmail account on any device to suit our needs, allowing us to receive only what we need. Due to the difference in the handling method between the web portal and the mobile applications, Setting up Gmail notifications has a very different process on each device.
Next, we will explain how to do it:
Being Google the basis for the operation of the devices Android, Gmail is your default email application and its options are easily customizable directly from the application or from the device settings.
To change the notification settings from the Gmail application, follow the procedure below:
- Opens the application of Gmail.
- Click on the menu, marked as three horizontal lines in the top left-hand corner.
- Swipe down up to option “Setting”.
- Select the second option, where your email is displayed.
- In the notifications section You will see all the options to modify this function. Press the first option, “Email notifications.”
- The pop-up window will appear that will show you the configuration options available.
- Press on “Everybody” to receive notifications for all incoming emails, “High priority” it will only notify you about emails sent with priority setting, and “None” will turn off email notifications Gmail.
The second method for turn Gmail notifications on or off on Android, It is through the native settings of the device. These settings will allow you to change the Gmail settings in the notifications section.
In this case, the method varies slightly depending on the version of Android, but in general, the process is as follows:
- Open the main menu from your Android and enter “Settings”.
- Sign in to the section of “Applications”.
- Press upon “See all applications.”
- Slide until I find the application “Gmail” and select it.
- In the application settings, select the option “Notifications”.
- Press about button “Show notifications” to turn Gmail prompts on or off.
Since iOS is somewhat less involved with Google that Android, the processes for modifying notification settings vary slightly. However, because the application of Gmail it works the same on both operating systems, the procedure is the same.
- Open the Gmail app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Press about the menu button in the top left-hand corner.
- Slide and open the option “Setting”.
- Choose your account of mail.
- Press about option “Email notifications.”
- Select notification level that you require in the window that will appear.
The difference is seen when performing the procedure through the phone settings, since the iOS settings configuration is arranged differently from that of Android:
- Seeks the icon “Settings” on your iPhone screen.
- Seeks the option “Notifications”.
- The list will be displayed Of applications, Search for the Gmail app.
- Click on the button labeled as “Enable notifications” to turn Gmail notifications on or off.
We show you step by step how to enable or disable desktop notifications on your Windows or MacOS computer
The Gmail web portal has its own setting features, which They are independent of the operating system or browser that is being used.
To modify Gmail notifications on your computer, it works with Windows or MacOS, the procedure is very similar:
- Open your web browser and enter the portal Gmail.
- Press about him gear icon in the upper right corner.
- click on the button “See all settings.”
- In the tab labeled “General” swipe until you find the option “Desktop Notifications”.
- Select the option that suits your needs.
- “New mail notifications activated” will send a notification to your desktop every time you receive a new email. “Important email notifications turned on”, it will only notify about messages with priority. AND “Notifications disabled” will mute all desktop notifications from Gmail.
- In case of activating notifications, Gmail will offer the option to modify the warning tone of new emails.
- Once the adjustments are properly made, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Save Changes”.