Currently, most users when buying a computer are inclined to choose a laptop and not a desktop computer, and this is due to many reasons. One of them is due to the fact that a desktop computer cannot be transported from one place to another in an easy way since these are usually large and are made up of different pieces. Meanwhile, a portable can easily be transported from one site to another because of its small size.
In the case of laptops , its screen is integrated with all the equipment, so it does not have an off button as if it happens on desktop computers. But, there are different methods by which we can do this.
In this way we will show you here how to turn off the screen of your laptop in Windows 10 in an easy and fast way , so you can save energy in those moments where you do not use the equipment . For this there are different methods which we will explain below.
How to configure when the laptop or computer screen is turned off in Windows 10 ?
Being able to turn off the computer screen in those moments where it is not used can help us to increase the life of the device since more care is being given to everything the system, with this we can save energy and prevent the screen from being visible at all times .
In the case of Windows 10 there are different ways to do this and which we will show you below so you can increase the life of your computer in a very simple way.
This first method is very simple and easy to perform, it consists of modifying the start / shutdown button so that it does not turn off completely or suspend the equipment, but simply turn off the screen and the computer continue on.
To do this you must perform these steps:
- The first thing will be to enter the “Start Menu”.
- Then we enter “Settings” and the following will appear:
- There you have to click on the “System” option and a new window will open.
- Now on the left side of your screen you will see different options, there you will have to select “Start / shutdown and suspend”.
- Once you have entered this section you will have to select the “Related settings”
- In the new window that appears on the left side a new menu appears, there you have to select “Choose the action of the start / shutdown button”.
- In this window you will see two options of the “Start / Shutdown” button either with the computer charging or using the battery, in this case the option to select “Suspend” , we will change it to just “Turn off screen” in both cases. To do this we display the window and select the corresponding option.
- Once this is done, click on the “Save changes” option and this process will be finished, now you can start turning off only the screen of your device in those moments where you do not use it without the need to turn off the equipment completely.
With keyboard shortcuts
Other ways you can use to shut down your computer with Windows 10 is to use the keyboard, a method that can be much more comfortable for those times where we are in a hurry and need a way to turn off the computer faster than in the traditional way.
In order to perform this method we have to press buttons on the keyboard, for this there are different variants that we can use. Just follow these steps that we will explain below:
- The first thing you will have to do is go to the desktop of your computer, once there you press the “Alt + F4” keys.
- Then you will see a new window in which you just have to press the “Enter” key and the computer will automatically shut down.
- If you want to get to the desktop faster without using the mouse, you can press the “Windows + D” .
Another option you have is to use the following “Windows + X” commands:
- Once this key combination is pressed, the start window will open automatically, you only have to select with the mouse the option of “Shut down” or in that case “Log out.” And finally select the option of accounApagarrd.
Other ways that can be used is by pressing the “Windows + X” keys on your keyboard and then pressing the «G key twice ”.
The last way to shut down the computer in W10 is to press the “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” keys and then select the option ” Turn off ” that will be in the lower right of your screen.
Creating a shortcut
You can say that this method is really simple and perhaps one of the most practical when you want to turn off the computer directly with W10 , since it is only about creating a shortcut which will lead us to fulfill the shutdown function.
In order to perform it, it can be done in two ways, in the case of having a programmable frame keyboard, a specific key can be selected so that the shutdown is done through the shortcut, but it is recommended to use a button that is remote so that it is not unconsciously pressed when using the keyboard. And another of the methods is through the voice assistant Cortana which we explain below:
- The first thing will be create the shutdown shortcut, we right click with the mouse anywhere on the desktop.
- There is a menu where we select the “New” option and then “Shortcut”.
- In the first window we write “Shutdown.exe –s”.
- In the following you write the name of the file , in this case you decide how to call it yourself.
- Once this is done the shortcut will be ready , you can leave it on the desktop or place it in a specific folder.
In case you don’t want to create a shortcut just to turn off your computer, you can also use other commands which will help you to fulfill other functions in the same way, either change user, restart the computer, cancel the shutdown , among many other functions that you can perform.
- Shutdown.exe –r : To restart the Computer.
- Shutdown.exe –L : To close the current session.
- Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll, SetSuspendState: Hibernate your computer.
- Powrprof.dll rundll32.exe, SetSuspendState 0,1,0 : To put the computer to sleep or sleep.
- Rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation: Lock the device.
- Shutdown.exe –a: Cancel the shutdown if you have selected it without intention.
Via voice command using Cortana < / h3>
Another way to do this is to use the different voice assistants that we can find in the market. Over time, these tools have been considered unhelpful. However, in some things you can get to take advantage.
It should be noted that today taking the computer shutdown through Cortana can be a bit complicated, however, here we will show you a way to achieve it. And with W10 this has become something easier to achieve , since Cortana will have the ability to log out, shut down and restart the computer through of the voice command.
In order to activate it in a Fall Creators Update or earlier version, you must go to:
C: Users username AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs
Right there is where you will create a shortcut with the following text:
The shortcut will be called “ Turn off computer ” now when we activate Cortana we must say “ Open / Turn off computer ” automatically upon receiving the voice command it will open this shortcut and the computer will shut down.
Configuring a countdown
One way to shut down your Windows 10 computer is to create a countdown to start the shutdown. In this case, it is a method very similar to creating the shortcut. A timer of final seconds will now be added to shutdown the computer through a command.
For this it will be necessary to create a shortcut using the same procedure already explained in the previous method. In this case you choose the time you want to perform this function, it can be 10 , 5 or any other number of seconds . An example of this could be : “Shutdown.exe –s –t 60” in this case the shutdown would be programmed in 1 minute after activating said command.
If during the waiting time for some reason you want to cancel the payment you have to do it through of another shortcut that you will create in the same way. In this case you have to use the “Shutdown.exe –a” command.
How to disable the monitor screen turn off automatically in Windows 10?
It is very possible that for some reason in special you do not want the screen of your laptop to turn off , but on the contrary it will remain on as long as the machine is on. To do this, you will need to make changes to the Windows 10 system, exactly in the energy saving options.
And it is that by default the equipment brings a power configuration that causes the screen to turn off at a certain time of inactivity, in some cases this is usually at after 5 minutes or 10 minutes, something that is very uncomfortable for most users.
In this way, here we present a method for you to change this configuration and avoid this type of actions on your computer that can be a bit awkward when you are doing some important activity. < / p>
To do this just follow these steps:
- The first thing will be to go to the “Start” button.
- Then we go to the section Configuration Settings.
- Now we select the option “Start / shutdown and suspension” the following option will appear there with a timeout.
- Now we display the window and move to the end, there we select the option of independentlyNunca†.
Tools and applications to control and schedule screen shutdown in Windows
Here are a series of utilities to have more control in the screen options of our W10 computer.
Energy Saver Monitor
This is one of the tools we can use to turn off the computer screen in those moments where we are not using it in order to save energy or simply so that the screen is not visible to other people . One of the main advantages of this tool is that it allows you to pause all running programs instantly when it is turned off. In order not to keep running and consuming energy.
It is important to mention that this utility can be added to the monitor when the computer crashes, for this you can use the “Windows + L” keys and one of the main advantages is that Monitor Energy Saver is completely free.
Turn off Monitor
This is another application that you can download to your computer to be able to turn off the screen of the device at the times that you think is convenient in order to save energy and increase its life.
Using this tool is very simple, you just have to download it to your operating system and create its shortcut which can be added to the taskbar. Then you just have to click on it when you want “Turn off the screen.”