Windows XP has been used for more than a decade on a host of computers around the world. The popular Microsoft operating system is here to stay, demonstrating robustness and performance such that, despite coming later new versions such as Windows Vista or Windows 8 , many have wanted to stay in it for the proper functioning that brings with it in any team.
It is true that, over time, other revisions and editions of systems have also arrived from the same company, such as Windows 7 or Windows 10 , which They have managed to go one step further with respect to what it offered in all possible fields: from connectivity to performance, through compatibility and endless possibilities. In short, they are very superior and, in addition, they have a great advantage in their favor, and they are still part of the systems to which their managers offer support, XP having already been almost completely forgotten.
Due to this, we will explain how to update Windows XP for free . The truth is that, despite the fact that its support has already been removed, there are ways to keep it receiving updates until 2019 , something that can be very useful for those who have not yet They want to move and prefer to stay with this system with which they have been comfortable for years. Although it is not recommended, you can continue using it to enjoy your device .
How to continue updating your Windows XP operating system? Is it still possible?
Even so, we will also explain the steps to follow if you want to make the leap to W7 or W10, the two most modern and optimized systems . It is never too late to update completely and, if you dare to do it now, you will not have a problem if you follow the procedures that we will detail.
Support for Windows XP updates stopped running a while ago . With the arrival of new editions and systems, Microsoft decided (naturally) to leave behind this popular system to bet on the most modern and focus their efforts on these to offer the best user experience in them.
Although it is no longer possible to receive updates , because there are not at least according to official statements from Microsoft, there is a way to modify the system so that new revisions continue to arrive . You just have to do what we are going to indicate in this section.
To allow the system to install updates without the need to interfere, follow the steps we will list below:
- Press the “Start” button at the bottom left to open a drop-down menu.
- Inside it, go to “Run … “ and click there.
- In the writing box, enter ” notepad “ and then click on the” Accept “button .
- When the plain text document is opened, you must enter what we leave next :
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM WPA PosReady]
«Installed» = dword: 00000001
- When you have written it, close the window and accept to save . You can put the name you want. However, you should store it with the ending .reg instead of .txt; by checking “ All files ” in “ Type “.
- After this, open the file you just created > and accept all the questions asked to make the modification in the Windows registry.
- Go back to the “ Start ” menu; but, this time, go to “Control Panel” when you are inside it.
- In the window that has just opened, you must enter the section ” Automatic updates. ”
- Then, another menu will appear in which you have to check the “ Automatic (recommended) ” box and mark the frequency you want.
- Once this is done, click on “Apply” to save the changes and then on “ Accept ” to finish. ¡Ready !
Steps to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7
Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 is an easy process, which only requires a series of simple steps, but does require some time due to the amount of files that must be moved .
Before continuing, it is important that you know the system requirements to see if your computer meets them:
- Processor: CPU at 1 GHz 32 or 64 bits.
- RAM: 1 GB for the 32-bit version and 2 GB for 64-bit.
- Hard Disk: at least 16 GB of space (32 bits) or a total of 20 GB (64 bits).
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9.0 compatible.
W7 ISO download versions:
- Windows 7 32Bit: Download
- Windows 7 64Bit: Download
This is what you have to do to update the operating system:
- Make a backup copy of the most important files on your PC. You can store those that you consider vital in an external memory or in the cloud or using dedicated tools.
- It’s time to create a USB installer . But first, make sure you download the W7 operating system ISO file first (* Follow the links above).
- Once you have it, the following is to download the program “Windows USB / DVD Download Tool” . To do this, enter this URL in your browser: https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=wudt . Once inside, click on the “ download archive ” button on the top right.
- Once downloaded, install the program. It is essential for the update.
- Then, open it to start with the copy of the installation image on the USB pen-drive .
- Start searching the path where the Windows 7 ISO is . Click on “ Browse ” or “ Folders ” and search through your directories until you find it. When you pick it up, press “ Next ” or “ Next “.
- Choose the type of media to be copied. In our case, press “USB Device”.
- On the next screen, you must choose the device in question . Click on the bar to choose the USB you are going to use (* must be connected). If it does not appear, click on the button on the right and look again.
- Selected now, click on “Begin copying” to start the transfer. Let the program do the rest.
- When finished, reboots the PC with the USB connected and enters the BIOS . You must establish that this external memory is what the computer looks at when booting. Look for the “ Boot ” or “ Boot ” section and modify the parameters to do so.
- Restarted the computer, let it detect memory and start installing . The rest of the process is quite simple and requires no more than to accept when requested and wait for the data to transfer.
Update Windows XP to the new version of Windows 10 < / h2>
In the same way that it is possible to switch to W7, you can also upgrade Windows XP to the newest version of Windows 10 . It is a procedure almost identical to the previous one, with small modifications that begin with the system requirements that you must comply with in your equipment. Check out below:
- Processor : CPU at 1 GHz 32 or 64 bits.
- RAM: 2 GB for the 32-bit version and 4 GB for 64-bit.
- Hard Disk: at least 20 GB of space (32 bits) or a total of 22 GB (64 bits).
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9.0 compatible and with a minimum compatible resolution of 800 × 600.
Download Windows 10 latest version
Download Windows 10 Creators Update
If your device meets these specifications, it’s time to launch update. Follow these steps:
- Copy all the information you want to protect on your PC using the cloud or specific software.
- Download the ISO file from the W10 operating system (easy to find on networks).
- Now, download the “Windows USB / DVD Download Tool” program. You can do this by entering this URL in the browser: https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=wudt . Inside, click on “ download archive ”.
- Install now the program.
- Open it and start with the Copy the image to USB.
- Find the path where the Windows 10 ISO is . You must press “ Browse ” and look on the hard drive until you find it. Pick it up and press “ Next ”.
- Choose where to copy by clicking on “USB Device”.
- Now, choose the device. Click on the bar to choose the USB that you are going to use (it must be connected).
- Then, click on “Begin copying” so that Start the transfer.
- Restart the PC with the USB connected and enter the BIOS . You have to enter the boot options to indicate that it is done through the USB memory. When you do, restart.
- The rest of the process is quite simple and requires no more than waiting and accepting when asked to move forward. Let the installer take care of the rest .