Easy transfer from one site to another, makes the different Raspberry Pi models a practical tool. However, installing a conventional monitor to make the adjustments increases the final size of the package.
Now, installing a 7 inch screen, of those who use tablets, you will be able to create projects on a more interactive device, with the possibility of displaying a virtual keyboard and, best of all, the way to do it is easy and simple.
In the market there are several models available from different brands, acquiring a portable screen eliminates the use of an external monitor for those tasks in which it is essential to do so. We are going to leave the detailed steps in our guide and, as always, the recommendations of the screens that you can purchase.
Discover how to use your tablet screen as a monitor for your Raspberry Pi from scratch
There are at least two ways to connect a tablet to the Raspberry Pi. With both, you can have full access to the desktop through the Android system.
We go with the steps that must be taken to achieve the connection:
First of all, we must enable the SSH or Secure Shell protocol, that allows remote access to a server in a secure way, encrypting the information in it.
We are going to put it into operation in the following way:
- Enter the screen “Raspi-config”, then select “Advanced options”, “SSH” and “Ok”.
- When prompted to reboot, do it.
- On the desk of Raspberry PI OS, open the tab “Preferences”, locate “Raspberry Pi Configuration”, “Interfaces” and finally select “SSH”. To confirm press the window “To accept”.
- Now turn off the Pi, remove the card and open it on your computer, on the “File Browser”.
- At startup, create a directory called “ssh” without any extension.
- Take out the card and make the replacement on your Pi now.
- When you turn on again, the SSH will already be activated.
Connect with RPD
We do the test with one of the remote protocols of Microsoft, is about RPD or what is equal to Remote Desktop Protocol. It will allow us to communicate between the computers connected to the network.
To put it into operation, follow the steps below:
- Install the software “RPD” both on your Pi and on your tablet.
- Now, SSH your tablet to the Pi to update the package list using the following code:
sudo apt update sudo apt install xrdp
- In this case must find remote app.
- Download the application.
- Start installing the application. Select “Desk“by tapping the button “+” and enter the name of your Pi.
- Next, enter the username or if you have not created it, click on the option “Add user account”.
- When done, tap the option “Keep”.
- When you’re ready, click “Connect”.
- You will get a warning that it could not be verified, but this is due to linux system.
- Click on “Connect safely” and you can see your home screen.
- What follows is enter your user credentials and click “To accept”.
Use a VNC connection
With the installation of this software, you also you will have remote access between both devices.
It is one of the most used systems for this purpose and now we explain how to use it on the tablet:
- The first thing is to install VNC on both devices.
- Now, update the repositories and install the server TightVNC:
sudo apt update sudo apt install tightvncserver
- When complete, insert this command: “Tightvncserver”.
- During the process, you will be asked to enter your username.
- Now you have to choose a VNC client among those available and then press the option “Download”.
- When VNC is installed, open the program and press “+” to create a new session using the IP and session number.
- At the top of the window, appears “Continue”, if you click it will tell you that it is not encrypted.
- Press “To accept”, soon “Continue” and there the connection will open.
- Now yes, you have everything ready to enjoy the connection between both devices.
Use HDMI port
The other viable option is to buy a touch screen and make it work on our Raspberry Pi, to make it work you have to follow the following steps:
- Use the HDMI port, at one end it is connected to the screen and at the other to the Pi. It does not require any additional software.
- The other option is with a DSI standard, using the screws and connectors that come with the screen.
List of the best screens that you can buy to use with your Raspberry Pi quickly and easily
In this listing, we are going to include at least four models of touch screens that you can add to your Raspberry Pi, pointing out some details regarding its configuration, compatibility and connectivity.
Let’s see next:
5 Inch HDMI touch screen
This model is designed for Raspberry Pi 4 and Pi 3 +, it is compatible with Ubuntu, Windows and Mac. resolution is 800px x 480px. Smoothly plays videos and games, it is also powered by USB port.
Kuman 7 inch HD display
Oops … This product no longer exists.
The screen resolution is 1024px x 600px, with HDMI and VGA input. Bring a bracket attached to the screen and It is compatible with the main Raspberry Pi models, among the oldest we add the Pi 1 B +.
EVICIV Raspberry pi 7 inch display
Its resolution ranges from 1024px x 600px. It has an HDMI connection, the ignition is via USB port and does not require the installation of any other additional program. It is compatible with most Pi models, has built-in speakers and works with Windows 7, 8, 10, also with Mac and Linux.
SunFounder Raspberry Pi
This 10-inch screen has a 1280px x 800px resolution, with multiple video support HDMI, VGA and USB. It has a place to fix the control card, as well as a slot to connect a camera. Finally, we must add that it has built-in speakers.