The clipboard on a computer it is only a tool in which temporarily store files or information of any kind, including text, images and others. This content is usually obtained by copying or cutting the item, and is retrieved using the paste or move function.
It should be noted that there many applications and programs that include the clipboard, in order to allow the user to store multiple copies of information. An example of programs that use their own clipboard it's Microsoft Word.
However, to use the clipboards of such programs you generally need to be a subscriber. Therefore, it will always be a better idea to use the native of your computer. In this post, we will talk about the macOS clipboard and how to use it easily.
How can I access my MacOS clipboard? Where is it located?
First of all, you should know that the MacOS clipboard is very different from Windows. However, to access it, it is only enough to carry out a series of simple configurations.
In this sense, the first thing you should do is enter the Finder and then go to the option of Edition located on top of the computer. Once there, click on Show clipboard. Automatically, you can see all the files stored on your computer's clipboard.
It is important to note that if it is a text, the full text will be clearly seen. But in case they are images and other types of files, will be shown as files. In addition to that, keep in mind that the only thing you can do is view the contents stored there, but you have no option to edit or copy them. If what you need are more advanced clipboard options, we recommend using an app to manage it.
On the other hand, within Apple equipment the Universal clipboard. It fulfills the same functions of the common clipboard, but with it it is possible to copy content (text, images, videos) and paste them from one Apple device to another. To enjoy it, you need to meet the system requirements for continuity.
It works when the devices are close to each other and have the following settings:
- All computers have the session open in iCloud with the same Apple ID.
- All devices have Bluetooth activated
- The Wi-Fi function is activated on all computers.
- Everyone has Handoff activated.
In case you don't know How to activate Handoff on your devices, follow these steps:
- On Mac: go to the menu Apple / System Preferences and then enter the section general. Choose "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices".
- On iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: go to Settings / General / Handoff and proceed to activate it.
Steps to use the MacOS clipboard like a pro
In general, clipboards are used in the same way on all devices. Just enough copy or cut an item so that it is stored in said tool. Then to work with it you have to use the function of paste or move it.
Being much more specific, there are two main ways to use the MacOS clipboard. If what you want is to take advantage of the common clipboard, just follow the steps below:
- Go to him Finder from your Mac.
- Then in the top menu, click on the tab Edition.
- Once there, select Show clipboard and you will be able to see all the files stored there.
In case you want To use the Universal Clipboard, it is necessary to follow the following procedure:
- Copy the text, image or any other file you need on a device (just as you normally would). It is also possible to copy entire files.
- Said content will be automatically added to clipboard from the other device Apple that you have nearby. Keep in mind that it will stay there for a while or until you replace it by copying something new.
- On the other device, paste the content.
Without a doubt, the universal clipboard is an excellent tool to easily transfer files from one Apple computer to another.
How long are things stored on my MacOS clipboard?
There is no exact time to keep files stored on the clipboard of a Mac. Generally speaking, files like text, images and videos are kept until you replace them by copying something new to the device.