Much has been said about WhatsApp since the last 12 years, when I was just one “very green” alternative to have long distance conversations, although it was a more economically accessible alternative than the SMS.
Since the beginning of the year 2022, This application has more than 2 billion active users per month, almost double since Facebook acquired it. However, they do not do everything well, Well, there is still no official application for Linux users.
Yes you use Linux, you can use WhatsApp Web, but if you prefer a desktop application We will tell you what are the best options you have on hand. We will also show you some tricks to make using this messaging easier.
Learn step by step how to use WhatsApp Messenger from your computer with Linux
As we mentioned, Mark Zuckerberg still does not have in mind to launch his own WhatsApp application on Linux, prefer concentrate the majority of users on its web version, but this is a limitation only if you do not know yet these options with which you can have this messaging active in your Linux distros.
Let’s see next:
With Ketsie WhatsApp
It is one of the latest unofficial solutions for you to have WhatsApp in your desktop environment of Linux. One of the things that users criticize the most is that does not allow changing the background of chats and it has functionality difficulties with some operating systems.
You must go to the website
github.com/olubunmitosin/whatsappto download the application.
- Choose “Go to file” to start the download.
Next, open your distro’s command terminal and type the following lines:
- Now you can go to the list of installed applications and run Kesty WhatsApp.
- You just owe enter the associated phone number and look for the backup if you have it on your main mobile.
Is about an unofficial client to have this instant messaging service on your Linux PC. One of its best advantages is that you get it in the Snap Store, so you can have the updates as if it were Google play.
Let’s see next:
You must go to the developer’s website
- Press the option “Install”.
- Save the app in an easily accessible site.
- Now, open the command terminal and you must write the following line:
sudo snap install whatsdesk
- Once the installation is complete, go to the list of applications on your PC.
- Run the app and enter your number associated with WhatsApp.
Immediately You will notice that the application offers the same options as the WhatsApp Web service, so that it is as if you entered from a browser to access this service.
The wonderful thing about this application is that does not focus only on WhatsApp, it is actually a multi-account and multi-platform application in which there are more than 65 services like Twitter, Slack, Facebook Messenger and Google Hangouts. Through a single interface, you can control some global settings like notifications, but you can achieve personalized settings in each of the services that you have access to.
How to use it:
- To get started, you must access the website
- Find and press the button “Download Franz for Windows”.
- Although it is the first option that appears, below there is a link that says “Download Franz for other platform”.
- Once inside, you have the option to download it directly for Ubuntu and you can download the ISO image, which is the one that will serve you for any distro.
- By having the file downloaded, you just have to double click on the installer.
- While the process finishes, you can register your data on the Franz website, because it requires a unique user.
- Will ask you confirmation via email to end.
If you prefer to wait before placing your data, when opening the application this must be a mandatory step before starting to enjoy its services:
- Open the app and it will tell you “Create a free account” or “Log in into your account”.
- Since you don’t have an account yet, press the first option.
- Writes “Name”, “Last name”, “Email address” and “Password”.
- Now press “Create Account”.
Adding a new service is very simple, We will explain how to do it in case of WhatsApp.
Remember that each service has different ways of requesting credentials and it is something that should be taken into account:
- Find and press the eyelash “Services”.
- Now press “Add new service”.
- Seeks the WhatsApp symbol and press it.
- The web version will appear of this service and you can synchronize your cell phone with the Franz through a QR code.
- After, open the WhatsApp web interface.
Although Franz is a desktop app, what it does is synchronize the data with the web version of this platform, which allows you to have the same benefits as if you accessed from the browser.
List of the best alternatives to use WhatsApp Messenger from Linux in an easy way
Although we have mentioned three excellent alternatives to use WhatsApp on your Linux PCThey are not the only ones that exist and if none of them has caught your attention, we can refer to three other alternatives so that you can use this service without problems.
Go for it:
Unfortunately, this is an application that has stopped receiving updates and it does not have the endorsement of its developers. Little by little he was losing followers for being left behind with the new WhatsApp functions. Currently it is no longer in operation, but it was one of the first options to deal with the absence of an official version of the service on Linux. It was compatible with all distros because it was created with Electron technology.
Another nifty way to put WhatsApp on your Linux PC is through a emulator like Android Studio. This can be quite useful if you are a programmer who creates projects and alternatives to WhatsApp. How does it work? This emulator will make your PC believe that it is an Android smartphone who can install WhatsApp, once you have placed the emulator on your computer, you will be able to access the Play Store and you will be able to download any app, even this instant messaging.
The origin of this program is Argentine and some users even accused its programmer of having stolen the original idea from the creators of Franz, but he has made it clear that this is an application created from scratch. This app allows you to add 30 messaging services and social networks at the same time, so it does exactly the same as Franz. It is available on Windows, MacOS and Linux, and can be installed in any distro without problems. It also simulates the use of WhatsApp through its web version.