Processors become more powerful, memories faster, and disks larger. The speed at which the best ones advance is impressive. However, This does not mean that it is necessary to go changing components at every moment.
Quality hardware can last a long time. With the correct use, today it is possible to have computers that are quite old. However, the softwares and its updates require more and more resources.
For that reason We may notice that our machine is getting slower. But this is not the only reason why the artifact shows less performance. To know how to recover and make our PC work again at the right pace, continue with this post.
Why is my computer running so slow? Most frequent causes
An illegal program, a pirated movie or lack of control are open doors for malwares enter the system. In the same way that running applications use computer resources, viruses run their processes silently. This makes we can't identify at first glance why everything works so slow.
Needless to say, this is just one of the problems that this type of malicious software will bring us. Since we may be suffering from data theft, identity theft and many others.
Watch movies, run the best computer-supported game, or save photos and videos They are activities of the most common and that we all do. However, these actions, especially if the performance of the device is low, they occupy significant space on physical disks.
This is inconvenient, since the operating system needs a free space large enough to function properly. Still, if the drive is broken, the programs store files on the main disk which is where the main Software is located.
We have mentioned that many of the problems presented have a simple solution. Well, in this case, that phrase is relative. Excessive movement, a fall or a blow may be the reason that some of the internal parts of the computer have been damaged. This could be most common on portable devices.
Depending on what the damaged item is, it will be reflected in the difficulty of replacement and its cost. There is also an extra reason why hardware can be damaged and is the following item.
When was the last time you checked the internal cleanliness of your computer. Dust is constantly accumulating inside. This can damage components and connections. Also, it has a reputation for making fans stop working. And with it the risk of burning something.
If you don't feel qualified to dust inside the cabinet or don't want to remove a screw for fear of breaking it, you can always take it to a technician. And by the way take advantage and ask him to check for example thermal paste which distributes the processor temperature. In some cases and over the years, its performance dries up and falls.
Maintain the cabinet in a place away from the ground, and away from air currents from the outside of the house will be a factor that will distance the time between cleanings.
Continuing with the hardware problems, sometimes it becomes unavoidable the need to change some obsolete component. Even if it is not broken, a small change can make a difference.
You will see that not everything is as expensive as it appears. exist Decent brands and second-hand components that will make your computer a faster device.
Too many processes
Are the file executions performed within a system. Some of them do since we started Windows. In turn, many others are added as we install programs.
Well, although there is a visible window that we interact with, there are other processes that they work in the background. These are not always necessary. And at one point, their accumulation will slow down our PC.
Improper operating system
These, like any software have minimum requirements that the hardware must meet to function properly. In many caseswe don't comply with some or we come up with just enough. This will prevent the device from running at a high speed. It is possible that using an earlier version will speed up the way we use the system.
There is another question regarding this. Is when OS is no longer supported, as Windows 7 did recently. This means that the errors that arise cannot be solved by the technical team of the developer company. In addition to representing a security risk.
Apply the following methods to recover the speed of your computer like when you took it out of the box
As we mentioned at the beginning, there are ways to solve the possible disadvantages that lower the performance of the PC. You will see that many of them They are done in simple steps and in a short time:
All softwares have errors and like the after-sales services of automobiles, they have a team dedicated to their repair. However, when these glitches accumulate it means it's time for an update. The operating system is not exempt from this mechanics. And many of the problems we have with the computer are already solved.
All we have to do is update your system:
- For this, leader to "Windows Settings", pressing the keys "Windows + I".
- Click on "Update and security".
- In the beginning you will find "Search for updates". Press this button and wait for the system to search.
- The patches will be installed when you have started your next session.
Windows always tries to balance consumption and performance. If you are willing to sacrifice the first for the second, you can change these values. In the event that you regularly use a battery-powered laptop, we do not recommend that you do so:
- Press the key "Start menu" and search "Control Panel".
- Once in the ruling utility to "Hardware and Sound".
- Do the same with "Energy options".
- At the end of the window, choose "high performance".
- By doing this, the system will consume more resources of energy but will deliver higher performance.
In Internet you can find many for free They are very good, although if you prefer better protection you will always have the alternative of paying for a higher version.
However, another option is to use the defense system that comes natively, Windows Defender. To perform an analysis with him, perform the following steps:
- Press the Windows icon on the taskbar.
- Write the word "security".
- Click on "Windows Security".
- Use the shield icon to enter "Antivirus and threat protection".
- Click on the button "Quick test".
- Select from the exhaustive alternatives and continue with "Browse now."
- After a few minutes the analysis will conclude and you can eliminate threats.
Add more virtual memory
It is a good method if you don't have too much RAM. What it does is compensate for this by transforming temporary storage space into an annex for RAM. To perform this process, do this:
- Enter the "Control Panel".
- Enter to "Security system".
- And then to "System".
- Do the same with "Advanced system settings" found on the side panel.
- A window will open, with several tabs. We will use the "Advanced Options".
- In the category "Performance" click "Setting".
- In this new window, we will also use the tab "Advanced Options".
- Press "Change".
- Leave the box that appears at the beginning blank, this will will allow to modify the virtual memory.
- In “Custom size” Enter the amount you want to allocate expressed in MB. You can start with 1000 and go up if you think it is not enough.
Eliminate unnecessary applications with automatic start
When turning on our computer, the system runs some applications that are essential for its operation. However, when installing new programs, these add processes that run automatically with each start.
Many of them are not essential and removing them will speed up the computer:
- Press the right mouse button on the taskbar.
- In the menu that appears, select "Task Manager".
- Go to the tab "Start".
- Click on the column "State". This will cause those that are enabled to be ordered.
- To change this, you just have to select the task that you think is unnecessary and click on the button "To disable" in the corner of the window. This is done one at a time.
Defragment the disk
If your computer has a traditional magnetic rigidDoing this tip from time to time will cut your file search time. They are found in scattered fragments. This makes Windows take longer to locate them.
To solve this follow these steps:
- Inside the start menu, type "Defragment" and choose Defragment and optimize drives.
- Select disk at a time and run a scan (you must be an administrator).
- If the fragmentation percentage is enough to justify the time it will take to defragment it, press "Optimize". This will start the process which can take minutes.
- do the same with every record internal you have.
Delete apps you don't need
As we said before, programs take up space and consume resources. Uninstall the ones you don't use or didn't remember you had is the most sensible thing.
To do this, perform these steps:
- Use the shortcut "Windows + I".
- In the window choose "Applications".
- Then, inside the sidebar select "Applications and Features".
- Here you can sort the programs and installed applications by installation date or name.
- To remove it, click on the software and select "Uninstall". This process can be done one program at a time.
Mute Windows 10 recommendations
If you have been a user of this operating system for a long time, surely you don't need the welcome messages Nor the tips that Windows is releasing.
To disable these notifications follow this method:
- Use the key combination "Windows + I".
- Choose "System".
- In this window, select the button "Notifications and actions" found in the sidebar.
- Here you can disable options such as "Get tips, tricks and recommendations while using Windows". This will help give the system a little boost of speed.
Free up space on your hard drive
If you already have applications like CCleaner, you can use them. If not, we recommend you use the Windows utility that does this job. To use it do this:
- Type in the start menu "Cleanmgr".
- Right click on "Disk Cleanup" and run as administrator.
- In the new window choose the unit you want to clean and press "To accept".
- After a few seconds, the application will indicate how much space you can free. It will vary depending on whether you check or uncheck the items on the list. Press "To accept" when you are ready.
Download CCleaner Windows
Download CCleaner MacOS
Clean the desktop
The icons and files displayed on it are housed in one location on the main disk. The operating system is also hosted there. Thus, occupy vital space for proper operation. They also use computer resources. Debugging them is very healthy.
Make a selection of those shortcuts, files and files that are not essential. OR change location to less busy disk.
Prioritize performance over appearance
For this you will have to dispense with the good looks and colorful animations that Windows can have doing this:
- Login to "Security system" inside the control panel.
- Do it again in "System".
- In the side panel click on "Advanced system settings".
- In this window, we will use the tab "Advanced Options".
- In the performance box, tap "Setting".
- Inside the tab "Visual effects" uncheck all the options that you are willing to do without.
- When finished, press "To accept" until you get out of these windows.
Perform cleaning maintenance
We already mentioned what they are the problems that can have a computer full of dust. The excess temperature it causes can also irreparable damage to your equipment. You can use an air compressor or just take it to the technician.
Sacrifice interface transparency
It is a very beautiful thing to see, we know. But if you want to get the most out of performance, you'll have to let it go. For this:
- Enter Windows settings (Start menu button + I).
- This time, choose the menu "Personalization".
- In the sidebar, tap "Colors".
- Turn off transparency effects sliding the corresponding button.
If the above recommendations failed, it may be time to start from scratch. In other words, perform a system re-installation. To do it:
- Enter Windows settings and choose the last option “Update and security”.
- In the sidebar press "Recovery".
- Press "Start" in "Reestablish this team".
- At the beginning of this process, the system will ask you if you want to keep the files. We recommend that you make a backup on an external disk and choose "Remove all".
- Finished this, you will have a Windows from scratch.
Update your components
If you have tried all the above options and you're still not comfortable with the performance from your computer, there will be no choice but to replace hardware. Whenever you deserve it, you can add a memory Additional ram (if you have a free slot) or add a record solid state as main unit.
If you are thinking of change processor, First look for latest computer prices. The cost may not vary much.