Mobile phones and tablets are extremely important today. Over the years, its use has spread and multiplied. However, this increase gives way to various malicious codes. If you want to know what are the main vulnerabilities of mobile devices, continue reading.
More than 90% of mobile devices are prone to attacks. These can come from any vulnerability in the security of the computer that is exploited by the attacker.
For this reason, it is convenient to take a series of security provisions in order to safeguard the integrity of your personal information.
List of the main vulnerabilities of mobile devices
Both the Android devices such as iOS are exposed to attacks. The vast majority of them can be hacked by a text message. Inclusive, Google Y Manzana they have withdrawn multiple applications from their stores because they represent a danger to their users.
Here is a list of the main vulnerabilities of mobile devices:
Malware is the main source of vulnerabilities in Android devices. These are malicious programs that infiltrate your device to steal information, spy on, and even impersonate legitimate applications. Some are very difficult to detect.
They can be mentioned:
- Ransomware: It is a type of threat that can block user’s personal information. For example, it encrypts images or videos in order to force the user to pay a ‘rescue’ for your data. Malware is quite common on computers, but it has managed to migrate successfully to mobile devices.
- Malware in MMS: The media library at Android It is one of the vulnerable points of the mobile device. Through a multimedia message, the attacker can send malware as an attachment to multiple user contacts. Even if the recipient does not open the message, the virus still embeds itself in the device.
- Trojans in SMS: Text messages represent a serious vulnerability for cyber attackers. By means of a Trojan, criminals can obtain bank information by intercepting messages that come from your bank. Similarly, you can wreak havoc by texting internationally to increase your bill.
- Spyware: They are malicious programs that can come embedded in third-party applications. When installed on the mobile device, they begin to collect user information, such as passwords, emails, among others.
The devices iPhones are reputed to be highly secure devices, which cannot be hacked. However, this is not true. Although its security features are efficient, it can still be attacked due to a vulnerability.
Among the main cases, the following stand out:
- Fake iOS certificates: It is a frequent threat on devices iPhone, which is capable of infecting a mobile phone if it has downloaded an application ‘official’ from Manzana in a unofficial website.
- IOS Webkit: They are cyberattacks that exploit security vulnerabilities in a iPhone. These seek upload a web portal with your own scripts, thus circumventing the security measures of Manzana.
- Malicious profile: Rogue profiles are means by which attackers circumvent the protection measures offered by the operating system. In this way, the attacker can redirect information traffic from the mobile device to a server controlled by the criminal.
- Day zero: After each new update of the operating system, the cyber attackers take advantage of any vulnerabilities that are present and have not yet been corrected. In this way, they infiltrate the device to steal all the stored information.
The best tips to protect your mobile devices and the information on them
exist multiple measures to cover the vulnerabilities of your Android and iOS devices. They are small steps that can make a difference.
Here are the best tips for protecting your mobile devices and the information on them:
Always use secure Wi-Fi networks
Make use of a secure network, protected by means of a password, it prevents third parties from having access to the network and from launching attacks on your device. The Public Wi-Fi networks often function as intermediaries for cyber attackers, as it allows them to infect a device by impersonating the identity of the legitimate portal to which the user tries to enter.
Check your mailbox frequently
Through e-mail, numerous computer attacks are common. The phishing or installing malware through corrupt files. It’s fundamental do not open or download documents from spam or of doubtful origin.
Download apps from trusted sources
To take care of your device, it is essential download the applications from official stores. Such as the Apple App Store or Android Google Play. Similarly, Amazon it is another alternative to download legitimate apps. Using third-party websites puts the integrity of the information stored on the mobile at risk. Suspicious portal applications may be infested with malicious code.
Install an antivirus
In the application market there is a wide repertoire of special antivirus for mobile devices. However, you should look for applications that are from legitimate companies, since in many cases malware disguised as protection can be presented. Avast, Avira, Norton and Kaspersky are some examples of official antivirus that you can download at Android and iOS.
Keep your device updated
The mobiles they own updated your operating system and applications, are less likely to suffer a computer attack, or have vulnerabilities that the attacker can exploit. Updates provide patches that solve security problems which may present the previous version.
Make backup copies
To provide extra protection to the device, it is recommended make a security copy. You can do it through the cloud, or make use of a external device and save your data on your computer or a portable hard drive.
Manage application permissions
So that the applications can work properly, you need to give them permissions on the device. However, applications of dubious origin can use these permissions to download and install malware on the mobile that is responsible for stealing your personal information. For this reason, check the permissions granted to your applications.