UPDATED ✅ Do you need to know which and how many versions of Windows Server currently exist? ⭐ ENTER HERE ⭐ and get to know them all ✅ EASY and FAST ✅
While it is true, Windows Server is one of the most recognized Microsoft services today. Thus, distribution of said technology company that designed for server useespecially.
In this sense, due to the fact of being a multithreaded and multiuser system, reveals many advantages for organizations that make use of it. Whether it’s running multiple server roles and different operating systems on a single server, it reduces the amount of hardware required to run server workloads and minimizes hardware and software setup time.
That is why it is necessary to know everything about Windows Server. But especially, its origin and evolutionlike all existing versions to datedetailing its main characteristics.
What is Windows Server and what is this Microsoft tool for?
To begin with, it is important to know what this Microsoft tool consists of and therefore, we define it as a distribution of said company for server use. Which basically means that it is a server operating system that allows a computer to handle network functions. Which, It is multithreaded and multiuser.as we indicated before.
It should be noted that Windows Server is developed in the C++ programming language that is widely used by billions of companies around the world, in view of the excellent features and benefits it provides. Taking into account that this is a system that can be used by all the employees of a certain company, so that manages to centralize the management and administration of files.
In addition to this, the Microsoft distribution in question favors the work of developers and programmers, since it allows improve operating results entirely. Among other advantages, we point out that it has a very simple and flexible administration; therefore, it can be handled quickly and efficiently.
In reference to the origin of this important tool, we highlight that its first version was “Windows 2000 Server” which, as its name indicates, was launched at the beginning of the new millennium in the year 2000.
Since then, it has been cataloged as an ideal solution for when it was not required to have a server dedicated to each task, for the possibility of having everything centralized on a single serverthanks to this tool which, back then, had the ability to support up to four processors. Reason for which, it was conceived to operate as the file, print and web server of various companies.
As is known, over time, the Microsoft company has added notable improvements to the Windows Server system and its latest version, lies in the year 2019; this being the most recent.
For this reason, in view of the notable importance of this Microsoft tool, it is valuable to know the evolution it has had from its first version to the newest, in a summarized way. Bearing in mind that, as the years go by, has adapted more to the needs of today’s world.
In this sense, we specify that your ease of administration has been increasing from each version, so it is very easy to manage the work of developers and programmers.
Added to this, performance has also increased in the latest versions and from 2000 to 2019 its developer community has seen a great increase, so there are already more applications and systems that run with this operating system for servers.
Complete timeline of all versions of Windows Server created by Microsoft
Specified the above regarding the evolution of Windows Server, it is necessary know each of the versions that this OS has had since its inception. So, below, chronologically, We present the main characteristics and details of each of these:
Windows Server 2000
Release Date: February 17, 2000
Just as we indicated, the origin of this Microsoft tool resides in the early 2000s, specifically. Which, in its beginnings, was simply a software designed for its implementation in web service servers.
- Tasks that Server 2000 can perform include: creating user accounts, assigning resources and privileges, act as web serverFTP, print server, DNS or domain name resolution and DHCP server.
- It was very easy to use, since it had uncluttered interface. Also, it was displaying typed menus and the outline icons work infrequently and disappear from the set menu. It also had an HTML-based search helper to perform targeted searches of local devices and remote files.
- had a MultiLanguage version of great capacity that can be changed from one language to another without the requirement of rebooting the device. Even when you have an application in Spanish and another in English, you can work with both languages concurrently.
- He added techniques based on showing established networks much more comfortable than carry out, install, manage and accept.
Windows Server 2003
Release date: April 24, 2003
Three years after the first version of Windows Server, the second proposal appeared in order to improve with respect to the security field. Which is based on NT technology and in the case of your NT kernel version, belongs to 5.2.
- In reference to the most important server functions it handleswe highlight that they are: Web server and web applications, file and print server, mail server, directory server, DN domain system, DHCP server, remote access server / virtual private network (VPN), streaming server, etc. .
- This version of Windows Server was cataloged as one of the safest and fastest evercompared to other server operating systems. Taking into account that it provides great reliability, availability, scalability and keeps business information protected.
- Guarantees a great economy and especially, when it is combined with other Microsoft products such as software and hardware, to allow you to obtain the highest return on the infrastructure investments that are made.
- It is responsible for offering tools that allow you to implement, manage and use your network infrastructure to get the best possible productivity from flexible tools, automated tasks, etc.
Windows Server 2008
Release date: February 04, 2008
After five years of the establishment of 2003, a new version of Windows Server emerged that stood out from the rest for having many similarities to Windows Vista. This, mainly, because both systems shared specific areas of Microsoft code. Taking into account that, due to its peculiarities, this version could drastically change the way the OS is used.
- It included a new NTFS system repair process, being a background process that repairs damaged files very effectively. Also, it supported creating user sessions in parallel so decrease waiting times in Terminal Services.
- they noticed many improvements in the performance of Windows Server virtualization, usually. Which, currently, is a transcendental technology in data centers.
- Windows Server 2008 managed to optimize the web application platform and offered 30 to 40 times faster access to media servers.
- Noted for providing malware protection in loading controllers into memory.
- It is the old version that featured more editions available:
- Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (x86 and x86-64).
- Windows Server 2008 R2 All Editions (Only 64Bit).
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition (x86 and x86-64).
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition (x86 and x86-64).
- Windows HPC Server 2008 (replaces Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003).
- Windows Web Server 2008 (x86 and x86-64).
- Windows Storage Server 2008 (x86 and x86-64).
- Windows Small Business Server 2008 (Codename “Cougar”) (x86-64) for small businesses.
- Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (Codename “Center”) (x86-64) for midsize businesses.
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
- Windows Server 2008 Foundation Server.
Windows Server 2008 R2
Release date: November 12, 2008
Subsequently, this version was launched as an improved version of Windows Server 2008 and thus, it is one of the most important evolutions in the computing sector. Since, Windows Server 2008 R2 consists of the first 64-bit operating system introduced by Microsoft.
It should be noted that, although its development was completed on September 16 of that year, it was officially launched on November 12.
- It is a server variant of Microsoft’s Windows 7 operating system.
- Notable improvements include the inclusion of a number of great new virtualization features, including Live Migration and Cluster Shared Volumes.
- Sample low power consumptionnew Active Directory features like a recycle bin for deleted AD objects, a new set of management tools, and a new version of ISS (7.5) that adds a revamped FTP server.
- This version of Windows Server exhibits the increased number of processing cores which goes from 64 to 256.
- With this version, improvements around performance could be seen and thus it was a truly transcendental area of development. Well, Microsoft did excellent work to reduce boot time and improve the efficiency of I/O operations while improving the speed of storage devices.
Windows Essential Business Server
Release date: September 16, 2008
It is a version that is dedicated to medium-sized companies, due to its ideal functions to simplify its administration. Taking into account that it supports up to a maximum of 300 users and/or devices. But, was discontinued in 2010specifically June 30.
- It stands out for offering a single administration and management console, from which you can control and monitor charging for clients and managed servers.
- This service also includes Microsoft Remote Web Workplace. Which, is a remote web job site and makes it easy for users to access the facility when they are out their email, for example.
- It has a function “out-of-the-box” that allows users to easily set up security-enhanced remote access for company computers.
- It was a built version from Windows Server 2008 code and two editions are planned: Standard and Premium.
Windows Small Business Server
Release date: 2011
As its name indicates, this Microsoft operating system has been developed for small business management. Thanks to the fact that it offers specific solutions to them, such as the Remote Web Workplace, and provides notable benefits.
- Among its most notable advantages, we highlight that it provides integrated configuration management, improves supervision and offers qualified remote access to access files from anywhere.
- Also known as Windows SBS, it has two versions: Windows SBS 2011 Essentials and Windows SBS 2011 Standard. Which, are based on version 2008 R2.
- Guarantees automatic backups regarding company data and has very easy recovery features. Therefore, it allows you to protect any business from loss of information.
- It has excellent business functionality capabilities of great quality and productivity. Thanks to its e-mail functions, intranets, Internet access and printer file sharing.
- It offers the necessary tools to organize all the information easily.
Windows Server 2012
Release date: September 04, 2012
Mainly, it was the server version of Windows 8 and of course, it is the official successor to Windows Server 2008 R2. In addition to this, it should be noted that its main objective was to attract subscribers.
- This version of Windows Server was cloud orientedas it has been optimized to use Windows cloud services to make user tasks easier.
- handles very flexible server installation, that is, the possibility of installing core mode and with GUI. Thus, executing from a GUI version to a core version and vice versa.
- Does not have computer support with Intel Itanium processors and four editions are sold.
- presents a Hyper-V upgrade that adds network virtualization, cross-premise connectivity, cloud backups, storage resource pools, multi-tenancy, etc. Apart from that, in this version of Hyper-V each virtual machine can access up to 64 virtual processors, 1 terabyte of memory and even up to 64 terabytes of virtual disk space per virtual disk.
Windows Server 2016
Release date: September 26, 2016
Also known as “Windows Server vNext”, it is one of the newer versions released by Microsoft Windows for use on servers. It is one of the most relevant, positions that were carried out together with its counterpart Windows 10, simultaneously.
- It has a function called “Active Directory Federation Services” which allows you to tune AD FS to authenticate users stored without AD.
- Offers Windows Server Antimalware, which is installed and activated by default without the graphical user interface.
- One of its most important features, is the soft reset. Being this, capable of accelerating the boot process and skipping the hardware initialization and, also, restarting the software in case only.
- Deliver remote desktop services with support for OpenGL 4.4 and OpenCL 1.1. This improves performance and stability.
Windows Server 2019
Release date: October 02, 2018 was its initial release
Three years later, the newest version of Windows Server was created It is built on the basis of Server 2016. Which stands out from the rest by providing a hybrid environment to companies, with which they have the possibility of taking advantage of the benefits of public clouds and local environments.
- It only has two versions: Standard and Datacenter. Between both, Datacenter is the one that offers greater and better benefits (such as, for example, SMBDirect and others that are not available in Standard).
- The Windows Server 2019 installer provides the ability to install in core mode (or minimal user interface) for remote administration or otherwise in desktop experience (or full user interface) for local management.
- Guarantees advanced multi-layer securitythanks to the protection of the data center that it offers from the operating system.
- Simplifies the creation of cloud-native applications and modernizes traditional ones through microservices and containers.
- Contains a hyperconverged infrastructure without precedentsto achieve better and greater safety and efficiency.