When you work on this Microsoft program you will have the opportunity to store your files created in it in different types of formats, one of them is in CSV. This type of extension allows the file you created to you can open other programs with greater ease and not only in Excel or any other database software.
A file with .csv extension It is made up comma separated values. This means that stores data in table form but that each of comma columns. In this way, these types of documents can be used in a wide variety of programs, being the main reason why it is frequently used for import or export data from different applications.
Having said all this, here we are going to explain the different methods what can you do to open a file with .csv extension in Microsoft Excel. For this, it will be necessary to follow each of the procedures that we are going to explain in the post.
What is a CSV file and how is it different from an XLS?
As already mentioned above comma separated value CSV files can be basically opened with any program, so you can have a large number of options for see your information in comparison if you store it with another type of format.
However, it is important to clarify that they present a data content that is very difficult to understand if they don't open in database programs like Excel.
This means that for this content be clearly legiblethese comma separated values they should open in software like Microsoft Excel or any other program similar to this. It is also important to remember that in this software you can also store files in this format.
Therefore, here we are going to show you what are the main differences that can be found between what is a CSV file and XLS:
- CSV is a ancient method which was frequently used to save comparison tables, since this type of extension is read in word processors, something that is not happens with XLS extensions. Thus, the CSV contains plain text as a series of values that are separated by commas on a series of lines. So it allows it to be opened in word processors and that can be read by users. All this has made documents with CSV extensions can be read by a large number of applications.
- While XLS formats are binary MS Excel workbook files, they are in charge of store all information containing each of book worksheets, which includes numbers, colors, conditional formatting, among others. They can also contain additional elements such as tables, charts, images, among many others. Unlike CSV, these can only be read by applications specially developed to read its format, and that they can only write in the same way.
Steps to open a CSV file in Microsoft Excel easy and fast
Considering everything mentioned in the post, the best way to give Reading to CSV files is through Microsoft Excel. That is why here we are going to explain different methods So you can begin to open it and thus obtain a quick and easy reading of all the information that is contained therein.
To do this, follow each of the methods that we will teach you below:
Before opening Excel
The first way to access these file types is before opening Microsoft Excel.
For this you must perform each of the steps that we will indicate below:
- The first thing you should do is Find the CSV file location what do you want open in the program.
- Once you have done it, the next thing to do is right click about him.
- In the drop-down menu that appears on the screen you must to select the item of "To open with".
- Then select "Microsoft Excel" So you can open the document with such software.
- It will automatically open in one book spreadsheet, in this way you can start to open each of these formats in your MS program.
With Open Excel
The other way to power open these types of files in this MS software is from a blank sheet of book.
For this, it will be necessary to carry out the steps indicated below:
- The first thing you should do is open a blank excel sheet.
- There you should go to the tab of "Data" and then to the section on "Obtain external data".
- Next will be to select the icon "From text".
- Then the "Windows Explorer" There you must find the location of the file you want to open.
- Then a window will appear on the screen where you must select the check box "Delimited" and in "File Source" you choose UTF-8 or MS-DOS (PC-8) as the case may be and click on "Following".
- In the next window you must select which is the column-separated character. There, several options will appear, usually already selected "Tabulator", here you can choose any, although this time the comma box will be marked and select "Following".
- In the new window that appears you must select the format for the column data, here you will also find several options available, in this case choose "General" keep in mind that you can select any other. And then click on "Finalize".
- Now a window will appear where you should indicate where do you want import the data, here you can leave it in existing sheet and click on "To accept".
- They will automatically appear to you the data you have imported in your Excel sheet according the data you have previously selected for import. Keep in mind that according to the parameters you select it will be how you can see the data in the spreadsheet.
Converting CSV to XLS
Finally the other way to open these CSV file in Excel is converting it to XLS file, taking into account that these types of formats are the ones handled by this MS program by nature.
This means that if you don't want apply some of the above methods Or simply you want to convert it to open it easily the next few times, you will need to follow a series of steps.
Which we will indicate below:
- The first thing you should do is enter your browser preferably, in this case it will be used Google Chrome.
- Now you must enter the online converter "Convertio.co" from this link.
- Here the window will appear so you can convert your document CSV to XLS.
- For this you must click on the option "Select files."
- Then the Windows File Explorer”, There you must find the location of the file and select it and click "Open".
- Now the file uploaded to the online platform, the next will be to click on "Turn into".
- Here you should wait a few minutes while I know converts the format of the CSV file to XLS.
- After a few seconds the file has been converted, the next will be to click on "To download".
- This way you will be converting these file types into XLS, what will allow you open it faster and easier in MS Excel.
List of the best online converters to convert CSV to XLS without losing information
Power convert a file from a format to another is always a very good alternative for when you want open an information and you don't have the right program for it.
Currently you can find a wide variety of online converters that offer you very good results. That is why here you we present a list of the best online converters So you can convert CSV formats to XLS without you have risks of losing information contained there.
Let's see below what they are:
This converter is another of the excellent options that you can find available today, it stands out mainly for work with PDF files, so you can convert these formats into any other that you need.
However, also works with many other available formats that will allow you work with any type of document. Soda PDF you can work it online form from its own web platform or by downloading its software to work from your computer offline.
In this way, this tool has become an excellent alternative when you want to transform any type of format. It also allows you create encryption in some documents as one of the additional options that this offers you.